Decent Breathable Windproof Jacket

cookdn
cookdn Posts: 410
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Budget: £40-60

Getting a bit chilly at 0620 even with a long-sleeve top, however I don't fancy having to wear my Altura NightVision Waterproof unless dictated by the rain. Can anyone recommend a decent breathable windproof jacket? I fancied an Endura Rebound but nobody has stock of both a large and x-large to try in red (black a bit stealth for the dawn/dusk Autumn commute).

Best regard
David

ps. Ideally would pack down to a size suitable for stuffing into a rear pocket of a cycling shirt.
Boardman CX Team

Comments

• have you considered a gilet?

I find these much better for chilly mornings as you dont bake inside them and they are easy to whip off and shove in your pocket. I have the Shutt one.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    CRC have a sale on Montane jackets, the featherlite is just £35. It's more for short showers though. Made of pertex, most people end up a bit too hot in one if it's for a length of time.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... ch=montane

Surface Pertex jacket is similar thing, similar price.

I would stretch to a Gore Phantom if I was you. You won't regret it! Windstopper, doesn't overheat like most showerproof stuff does, arms can come off... It's great.

Can be had here for £71.50

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-phantom-soft-shell-convertible-jacket-2012/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Gore_Bike_Wear-Gore_Bike_Wear_Phantom_Soft_Shell_Convertible_Jacket_-_2012-Black
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • CRC have the Montane Featherlites at £35, perfect lightweight jacket, I'd buy one if I hadnt have bought one 3 weeks ago at full price!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=11427
  • Just bought an Endura Helium which so far seems to be pretty waterproof and not bad on the breathability front.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Featherlite is almost the worst of all worlds IME (I carry one for emergency stops): don't breathe too well, flap like mad and are only showerproof. Certainly, if you can stretch to a Gore Phantom (or similar - sleeves coming off is the least useful feature in my experience) then I would. Gilets (I also have) I don't really understand - it's my arms that tend to get cold (as they're doing nothing) when it's cold - especially if it rains.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I've used a cheap unbranded pertex jacket for years and it's been great.

Just got a Giordana Body Clone Protection Jacket in the CRC sale for £27.45, but it looks as if the price has gone up a bit since. Bit early to rate it but looks promising, especially at the price I paid.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • cookdn
    Chaps.

Thanks for the responses. All useful stuff.

Like meanredspider I have found it is my arms and shoulders that are feeling the chill so have sort of discounted gillets for the time being. Also in my own searches I have been discounting anything that pushes being waterproof as a feature on the basis that this probably compromises it's ability to breathe. I already have a Altura Night Vision Waterproof Jacket for truly grim weather.

pangolin you are wicked for recommending the Gore Phantom :wink:, now I want one of those and a windproof. Looks to be excellent for when the weather gets a bit colder. I could see myself wearing a thin long sleeved thermal underneath and then whipping the arms off when I warm up.

Has anybody got experience of dhb kit? The dhb Turbulence Windproof Cycling Jacket could be an option.

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • pangolin
    If you have the phantom you don't need a windproof. Seriously, I would die of dehydration wearing both!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin wrote:
    If you have the phantom you don't need a windproof. Seriously, I would die of dehydration wearing both!

+1 Even if you do get damp, you stay warm
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cookdn
    pangolin wrote:

Difficult to tell without seeing one but I am wondering if the Gore Phantom might be too warm for the next few weeks? My perception is that the windproof is an interim step if it is a bit too chilly for a normal long sleeved shirt.

This is all a bit new for me. Started a one-way 22 mile commute back in August (driving one way, cycling the other, different direction each day) so have only had to contend with v.mild to hot weather with the occasional downpour so far. Unlike a ride for pleasure I can't really bail-out because I've got the wrong clothing, but neither do I want to be carrying a load of additional clothing for ninety minutes 'just-in-case'. I hate overheating (and tend to run hot when pushing myself) but equally don't want to be cold starting off early in the morning.

My plan is to keep going at this all year round. Not a tragic problem to have and no doubt after twelve months of annoying Mrs cookdn by buying bike gear on a monthly basis I'll have a decent selection of different stuff to choose from. :D
    Boardman CX Team
  • I would say that a Phantom takes over from where a L/S jersey and a S/S baselayer leave off. You can wear it "next-to-skin"
  • pangolin
    cookdn wrote:
    My plan is to keep going at this all year round. Not a tragic problem to have and no doubt after twelve months of annoying Mrs cookdn by buying bike gear on a monthly basis I'll have a decent selection of different stuff to choose from. :D

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news cookdn, but the bike purchases don't stop :D

The gore jacket is certainly thicker than the montane, but I actually find myself able to wear it in warmer weather (and colder weather) than the montane because it is an order of magnitude more breathable.

The montane (or the surface, which was a jacket I had made from the same fabric) has quite a narrow temp window you would be comfortable in. The gore has a much wider temperature range.

Phantom + arm warmers + ss or ls jersey would cover you for pretty much any temp I reckon, especially if you get fairly hot. I'll stop sounding like a Gore rep now...there are other jackets like the phantom that do the same thing.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin wrote:
    Phantom + arm warmers + ss or ls jersey would cover you for pretty much any temp I reckon, especially if you get fairly hot. I'll stop sounding like a Gore rep now...there are other jackets like the phantom that do the same thing.

Yup - I could "upsell" you to the Assos Airjack 851 which I find better than the Phantom - with a price (usually) to match - though there are bargains out there now it has been superceded. Others may disagree of course but I do use both.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Isn't this like the mutually exclusive rules of buying a bike?

It can be cheap
    It can be light
    It can be strong

Pick any 2 out of the 3
    cookdn wrote:
    Decent Breathable Windproof Jacket
    Budget: £40-60
    It can be cheap
    It can be waterproof
    It can be breathable

Pick any 2 out of the 3

ETA: Ok, my bad. Waterproof is not a factor in your case. Carry on as you were.
  • cookdn
    kelsen wrote:
    ETA: Ok, my bad. Waterproof is not a factor in your case. Carry on as you were.

Don't worry, I am not so bothered about getting wet, getting chilled from being wet is more of a problem and this is normally a consequence of the wind.

As it seems to come highly recommended and I could be getting a reasonable deal maybe I'll sneak a purchase of the Gore Phantom jacket. :lol:
    Boardman CX Team
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    pangolin wrote:

Yup - I could "upsell" you to the Assos Airjack 851 which I find better than the Phantom - with a price (usually) to match - though there are bargains out there now it has been superceded. Others may disagree of course but I do use both.

Is the sizing chart on the Assos pretty spot on? Some brands are a not entirely accurate.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Have you considered this (seriously bargain price)

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/montane-lit ... src=google

I bought one in the spring and it's been great both for the bike and walking. Kept me comfortable in some seriously wet weather! It fits in a jersey pocket no problem.
  • Just taken a punt on one of these for £15.

It looks good but I suspect not massively breathable.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLP ... ain_jacket
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pangolin wrote:
    I would stretch to a Gore Phantom if I was you. You won't regret it! Windstopper, doesn't overheat like most showerproof stuff does, arms can come off... It's great.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-phantom-soft-shell-convertible-jacket-2012/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Gore_Bike_Wear-Gore_Bike_Wear_Phantom_Soft_Shell_Convertible_Jacket_-_2012-Black

What's the fit like on these - ie based on the sizing chart on the Wiggle page http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... ket-2012/# . I'm pretty tempted - on the chart I come up towards the large end of the small size.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ShandyH wrote:

Is the sizing chart on the Assos pretty spot on? Some brands are a not entirely accurate.

Depends what you're buying. If it's the Airjack, I'd say it was about the same as Gore. They've introduced a relaxed fit though and, whilst I'm an XL in most of Assos's stuff, I'm just an L in the Mille relaxed fit
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    pangolin wrote:
    CRC have a sale on Montane jackets, the featherlite is just £35. It's more for short showers though. Made of pertex, most people end up a bit too hot in one if it's for a length of time.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... ch=montane

Surface Pertex jacket is similar thing, similar price.

I find the montane featherlite pretty good - I'd check that it isn't the H2O version, which I think is waterproof and so probably not nearly as breathable.

The non waterproof version is great, and my understanding is that as it isn't 100% windproof, it is more breathable than gore windstopper.
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    The non waterproof version is great, and my understanding is that as it isn't 100% windproof, it is more breathable than gore windstopper.

I'd question that having used (still use) both. The montane is flappy and clings to you when wet - I don't think it's that breathable either...Just my opinion having worn both. To my mind they have very different strengths. The montane is a great jacket for emergency stops (breakdowns, punctures etc) and keeping in a pocket. The Phantom is a regular cold weather jacket that keeps you warm and mostly dry
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Rolf F wrote:
    pangolin wrote:

What's the fit like on these - ie based on the sizing chart on the Wiggle page http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... ket-2012/# . I'm pretty tempted - on the chart I come up towards the large end of the small size.
    I'm 6 foot and ~40" chest and the medium fits me nicely. I'm usually medium in UK and US sizes but a large in Italian/French. I picked mine up from Evans, £79.99 in their sale, it was cheaper than on-line at the time plus I could try it on.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cookdn
    Thanks Chaps. The deed is done. I've ordered the Gore Bike Wear Phantom from Wiggle in both L and XL to keep the better fitting size and return the other.

This thread on Road Buying Advice caused the impulse as there is a voucher code to reduce the price further by 10%.

I'm hoping that I can offset the positive brownie points of doing a 320 mile round-trip to Southampton to collect our eldest's birthday bike (a second-hand Kona MTB) against the chastising for spending more money on bike related goodies. Mrs cookdn likes a bargain so the fact it is effectively 50% off list should help. :wink:

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I tried medium for the Oxygen and Phantom in Evans (no smalls of anything....)

It would definitely be the small I need but I suspect maybe the Oxygen would be too small and the Phantom a little larger than I want. But I'll try it and see! Less than £65 all in must be a good deal.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    jimmypippa wrote:

I'd question that having used (still use) both. The montane is flappy and clings to you when wet - I don't think it's that breathable either...Just my opinion having worn both. To my mind they have very different strengths. The montane is a great jacket for emergency stops (breakdowns, punctures etc) and keeping in a pocket. The Phantom is a regular cold weather jacket that keeps you warm and mostly dry

Is yours the H2O version, or the non H2O version? I was wondering, because I wouldn't describe mine as a good emergency jacket as it doesn't pretend to be waterproof. It was a long time since I looked at windstopper (mid 1990s) so it might have improved since then.
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    Is yours the H2O version, or the non H2O version? I was wondering, because I wouldn't describe mine as a good emergency jacket as it doesn't pretend to be waterproof. It was a long time since I looked at windstopper (mid 1990s) so it might have improved since then.

Non H2O I assume - no reference to it. As I've said before, I don't believe that anything breathable can also be waterproof or remain breathable when covered in a layer of water. The Montane Featherlite though keeps me warm whilst I'm stopped fixing a puncture or whatever. I work on the basis that I'm going to get wet but, so long as I stay warm, I'm fine. For proper emergencies, I carry an emergency foil blanket too. Softshell materials like Windstopper, Assos 851 etc are great for the same reason. Keep you warm whether you're wet or not. They do breath well when dry, repel some rain and dry pretty quickly too.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    As someone who gets very sweaty when they are exercising I've tried a variety of things:

I carry a montane featherlight when I'm not wearing a more substantial jacket. The main attraction is that it stuffs into a ball the size of an apple. It is made of pertex with a water repellant (certainly not waterproof!) coating but this wears off overtime so best seen as a very light, thin windproof. Contrary to what other people have said, pertex is HIGHLY breathable, certainly more so than any membrane (like windstopper) but the featherlight proves that construction/design matters as much as fabric - it is quite clingy, close-fitting and has no vents (other than a front zip) this means that you do get pretty warm and can swamp the breathability if you are working hard... Still for the role I use it for (emergency / when the weather changes on me) it's ideal.

When the weather gets reliably unreliable and the temperature drops (November?) then I tend to wear my rapha classic softshell over a base layer. I don't think the fabric rapha use is particularly brilliant but the cut and features are brilliant. Most importantly, it has good pit zips which I keep open 95% of the time - it has to be sub zero or driving rain to close them. When I start to warm up, I tug the front zip (offset - hence opens wide without flapping) open and get a current of air which comes in the front and out through the pit zips - dumps moisture much more effectively than any breathable fabric.

When I know its going to be properly wet the I wear a DHB eVent (waterproof) jacket that I got cheap on wiggle. I've had several goretex jackets for climbing/walking/skiing and eVent seems genuinely better on breathability grounds.
  • The Phantom is a regular cold weather jacket that keeps you warm and mostly dry

After all the Phantom rave reviews, I've picked one up at Evans too. Ordered a 'light red' (read pink) one since there was no other decent colour option in the women's version but they seem to have ordered the 'wrong' one that was unavailable on the website so I have a proper red one. :D

Still.. one question - I know it's water resistant rather than waterproof but if you do get caught in a shower, doesn't the water run down between the zips and get the shoulders wet - or does the windproofness make that irrelevant?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Phantom was far too tight fitting for my body frame, i picked up a bbb control shield at the bike show a few years ago, it's done very well indeed. Very windproof almost but not quite waterproof you will get wet in torrential downpours, pretty breathable as well. You can pick them up for £60..... I like mine so much I'm going to order a new one soon as the old one is getting tatty after 3 winters....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5