Ricky Hatton expected to announce boxing comeback

bigmat
bigmat Posts: 5,134
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/19565377

This strikes me as the worst idea that I have heard in a long, long time. Don't do it Ricky, so little to gain and so much to lose...

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Bad, bad, bad idea.
    exercise.png
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    How many boxers quit and never step in the ring again?

Not enough.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    is he called rickey hatton

cos he always got a hat on?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Steve Bunce was talking about this on the radio last night.

Apparently he is in the best shape of his life - will not have to go through the gruelling weight loss he normally has to before a fight as he is already around 11 and a half stone.

Bunce also reckons its not for the money either - he is doing it raise the profile of his promotion business - and as at the moment he hasn't got any superstar names on his books he will use himself.

Finally - Manny Pacquio (sic) beating him in 2 rounds keeps him awake at night and he wants that fight to end his career.

He'll back and retired within 18 months
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • There's no mission of him ever getting to light welter again, and he's too small to be a middleweight, the reason making the weight hammered him so much, was that between fights he would put on 3 stone then have to take it all off again, no other boxer I'm aware of balloons up like Hatton did.

Generally, if you retire you should stay retired, he was a top domestic fighter only found lacking at the highest level, he should accpet this rather than coming back and knocking over some muppet nobody has ever heard of, or worse still, getting hammered in his comeback.

I heard that he's doing it to sell his protional business to Boxnation after Sky dumped him.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Big_Paul wrote:
    Generally, if you retire you should stay retired, he was a top domestic fighter only found lacking at the highest level, he should accpet this rather than coming back and knocking over some muppet nobody has ever heard of, or worse still, getting hammered in his comeback.

I think calling him a "top domestic fighter" is selling him a bit short. He was very effective at the world level - he only lost to two boxers who probably belong in a debate about all time great fighters.

I agree that he should stay retired though. His chin seemed to have gone and his aggression was less and less effective. They're going to have to hand pick his opponents - no-one with a punch and no-one who can move too much!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Ricky must have seen Rocky 4 on the telly the other week an got all nostalgic seeing rocky running through the snow just before he beat up Drago

id love to see a fight between hatton an eubank

that i would pay to see
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:

that i would pay to see

Probably end up something like this. Mudcow - have this on me :roll:

1237363745_old_people_fighting.gif
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    mudcow007 wrote:

that i would pay to see

Probably end up something like this. Mudcow - have this on me :roll:

1237363745_old_people_fighting.gif

bahaha thats brilliant

fighting gramps!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I think you're all underestimating him, fair enough he took a couple of bad beatings against the two best fighters in the world but he's relatively unscathed, Amir Khan is more battle scarred than Hatton. The state of boxing as a whole is a bit of a shambles these days, if Hatton puts the time in the gym he'll probably still be a force to be reckoned with, especially as his style is so awkward and unrelenting
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • PorlyWorly wrote:
    I think you're all underestimating him, fair enough he took a couple of bad beatings against the two best fighters in the world but he's relatively unscathed, Amir Khan is more battle scarred than Hatton. The state of boxing as a whole is a bit of a shambles these days, if Hatton puts the time in the gym he'll probably still be a force to be reckoned with, especially as his style is so awkward and unrelenting

Amir Khan IMO isn't as good as Hatton, he has made his career knocking over aging champions, that time he was sparked by Prescott showed that he was by no means invincible, Prescott has done nothing since. Hatton went 10 rounds with Mayweather, in the unlikely event Khan ever fought Floyd, he'd just get taken apart. Team Khan always find an excuse, The man in the hat, Peterson on drugs, Garcia on drugs, Freddie Roach suddenly becoming a bad trainer etc.....

Since Paulie Maggliani has somehow scraped his way into a world title, it's not inconcievable that Hatton could beat him to become world champ again. If he does, I hope he has a couple of easy defences then calls it quits.

There's nothing worse than a past it boxer getting a hammering like Ali or more lately Holyfield.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    How many boxers quit and never step in the ring again?

Not enough.

Marvin Hagler; but I agree not enough. Suppose the decision is money driven as usual
  • The Magic Man has been selected because he's reasonably high profile but doesn't hit that hard. Hatton had one of the worst defences I've ever seen. Just kept going forward and this high energy strategy was usually enough to win. But whatever, a comeback doesn't sound like a good idea.
  • It's all official, opponent TBA, coverage TBA.

Any thoughts on the opponent?
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road