Loose spokes

dhobiwallah
dhobiwallah Posts: 272
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an issue with spokes regularly coming loose on my back wheel!

It is an older bike (well the donor parts are) from around 2004. All was well till I clouted the back wheel on a kerb (light-ish rims). When I got home I noticed a slight dent and a loose spoke. Straightened and tightened and all was good.

A few weeks later I noticed my rear wheel rubbing, on inspection it was v.out of true and half a dozen spokes were rattlingly loose :shock: Tightened them up by hand and got home.

Watched a wheel truing demo and went to work with the spoke key. Did a reasonable job of truing and checked the tension by squeezing pairs of spokes and all seemed reasonable. But now it seems a regular occurrence that some spokes will work loose, despite all seeming under reasonable tension when I finish.

Do I need loctite on the nipples? Tighten them all more (a few already creak when tightening) Or is the 8 year old wheel finished and ready to be re-built :o

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    well spokes coming loose is because the wheel is not tensioned correctly

caused by the wheel not being built right, or if its an old wheel there is a risk that the spokes are mild steel and its a junk wheel

lok-tight would be the worst idea, its needs to be seen by someone who knows how to do this (like me if your in edinburgh)
  • :D:D

Unfortunately I'm Daahhn Saaahhrf, seems like it was a mid range wheel initially (Deore hub, Mavic rim) - but it may just have had its day... Will prob take it to the lbs to see what they say
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    clean it up and oil the nipples, and let it sit for a day or two for the oil to soak in (remember if your using v brakes to clean the rim with window cleaner, before riding the wheel..... boom boom)

then chuck it in a good bike shop for a truing - will make it easier to do, there is no need to suffer...... boom boom

but check the rim for massive dents or cracks before you waste time oiling the nips...... ....