Looking for a new challenge

Gibbo GTI
Gibbo GTI Posts: 98
edited September 2012 in MTB general
Having done the Isle of Man End2End challenge for the past 2 years with my dad and a couple of friends, we are looking for a new race/challenge event to do. We are looking for something where we can go along and participate, we are not competitive although we all try our best lol.

Any suggestions? Not limited to the UK either but obviously not too far away for a long weekend trip.
GT Force Carbon Expert
Carrera Fury

Comments

• I'm the same, have done the E2E for the last 4-5 years, and have stopped enjoying it.

If you fancy coming back to the IOM for a different event, we have "longest day - longest ride" which is a 24hr endurance event run on midsummers day. You can do that solo or in a team. That's usually good for a laugh. Next year will be the 3rd one, and it's growing and improvine each year.

If you want to stay closer to home, or want something a bit shorter, have you thought about something like the Kielder 100 (or the 50)? That's on this weekend.

There is also stuff like SITS, HONC.

Then there is the Gravity enduro stuff.

There are loads of events that cover similar times and distances to the end2end. It really depends what you're looking for. Do you want to do point-to-point, or laps, do you want big events like the E2E (1300 on the start line this year) or would you prefer something a little less..... congested?

Are you looking for out-and-out XC events like the E2E (which can be, and is, completed on rigid singlespeeds and CX bikes) or something a bit more downhill oriented, like a gravity enduro, Epic Blast in Ireland, the Mega, passportes du soleil etc?

For a start, have a look over on XC racer. They've got a list of a load of events to choose from.

Another alternative is to just pack up and go ride somewhere for the weekend. A group of 12 of us went up to Glentress and Inners for a long weekend camping a few weeks back, and it was amazing.
  • Wow, very indepth reply, thanks. For 2 or 3 of us it would be more gravity enduro (as long as no big jumps) but the remainder would be XC like End2End. The longest day, longest ride sounds good, will put that to the group as an option.What distance is that event?

We'll be heading abroad for a weeks "winter training" or so we tell the wifes/girlfriends lol around march time. We went to Fuengirola earlier this year.
    GT Force Carbon Expert
    Carrera Fury
  • LDLR is just a 24hr event. So it's just as far as you can ride in the allotted time. Unlike a lot of 24hr events, this is a pretty short course (about 5km iirc). Wether that's a good thing or a bad thing is yet to be seen.

I'm going to do it solo next year (fnarr), but it can be done in teams of as many as you like. There is onsite camping for you or your team to make a weekender of it.

USUALLY, with it being midsummers day, it's the best chance you've got of it being decent weather too. Although this years event was ended after about 16hrs due to high wind and rain and the danger of trees being brought down :roll:
  • I completed the Kielder 100 on Saturday, its the hardest thing I've ever done. Cleared the cut off points with plenty of time but didn't feel right from about 20 miles in.

I'd say it's definitely the challenge you're looking for, I'm just glad the weather was better than last year!

Has anyone done the IoM E2E and the Kielder? How do they compare? I fancy something less, erm, training intensive!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Just been reading up on the Kielder 100, I think that would be a little out of my league. I'd definately be finishing close to the back and the thought of around 14 hours in the saddle is a little too long for me lol.
    GT Force Carbon Expert
    Carrera Fury
  • My training wasn't that intensive TBH. 50 to 70 mile MTB on a Saturday, 15 mile mid week MTB ride and about 50 to 70 road miles a week (mostly riding to work).

Plenty of time to train too!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    What about this?

http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/even ... ps=1001362

I'm doing it for the 3rd time. Great day out and well organised event. All for a worthy cause. Feel free to sponsor me if you don't fancy it :p
  • How about Maxx 80 southdowns way ,Its 80 miles off road across the SDW at night .Its on this saturday but for next year you have plenty of time to train .The first to finish do it in 7 hours ,im looking at 12 hours+,if the rain stays away it should be fantastic, but if it rains it will be BRUTAL! :twisted: