Is a "cheap" 29er the ideal compromise?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,485
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm a 40 year old dad who is just starting to realise that trying to keep being as fit as his sons is probably going to help him live longer! I've started running (done a half marathon in 1hr35m) so now looking to be able to get some miles in on a bike too. Eldest son has a Spesh HR and is keen on some "proper" MTBing. Unfortunately, I have a £99 ToysRUs BSO which although it got me round Llandegla last time (until the chain snapped) is heavy as hell and getting on for 10 years old so time to treat myself.

Problem is that as a Dad to four young boys, the amount of miles I'm likely to rack up on "proper" MTB routes is minimal - imagining 3 or 4 trips max to Llandegla per year. Much more likely to be on the road to the shops, riding around the local forest with a 6 year old on a trailer bike, or perhaps trying the odd commute to work.

I don't like the idea of wimping out with a "proper" hybrid, and the Spesh Crosstrail just looks too namby-pamby for me.

Does splashing out on a low end 29er and investing in some road tyres as an alternative sound like a sensible compromise?

Matt
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• Why a 29er? Would you consider 26" alternatives? Generally you'll get a better spec for your cash. What's the budget?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    yup 26" and get some slicks for on the road

ebay is awash with bikes
  • larkim
    I was thinking 700 tyres for ease of use on the road moe than anything - thinking that slicks on a 26" would look a bit daft and make the bike look chunky!

Budget is aiming for less than £500

Think it was this post which planted the seed of the 29er in my mind
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12873709&p=17818565&hilit=crosstrail#p17818565

Matt
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you want a bike you think looks good or one that works properly?!

£500 is a healthy budget mind, but absolutely no doubt the better bikes at this price are 26ers. Lighter, better specced, much better forks.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    You'll also get much more choice when it comes to tyres, with a 26".

A 26" bike with slicks, or semi-slicks doesnt look daft at all, if anything a 29'er with slicks would look worse (in my opinion)
  • larkim
    So, changing the topic slightly then. Is a half decent 26 in MTB with lockable forks and a spare set of tyres the ideal "dad compromise" bike? Probably get a biased answer in the MTB section of the forum though!!

Matt
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I picked an old model (but brand new) carrera vulcan up from Halfords for £199. Perfect for canal/trail type riding, then with a pair of £50 rigid forks and some kenda 1.5" slicks its as good a commuter as i'll ever want. So for about £270 i've got a cheap offroad knockabout which then can be a commuter type bike for about 1hr of my time swapping the tyres and the forks over.
    May sound extreme but swapping the forks is about as time consuming as another tyre and well worth it if your doing any distance on road.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    larkim wrote:
    So, changing the topic slightly then. Is a half decent 26 in MTB with lockable forks and a spare set of tyres the ideal "dad compromise" bike? Probably get a biased answer in the MTB section of the forum though!!

Matt

it would be ideal!
  • larkim
    :-) Thought so!
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Oh, yeah certainly lot easier than swapping forks, just an option if you were to drop on a bargain. I'd like a cheap pair of decent lockable forks for mine, then it would be ideal too. :)