IOM End2End 2012 (GoPro)

Dan Dare
Dan Dare Posts: 367
edited September 2012 in Your pics and vids
Here's my edit from Sundays event! https://vimeo.com/49277320

Comments

• Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Looks mad fun. Shame about all the walkers.
  • Very interesting, I was a bit further up the pack and was frustrated by those who couldn't ride the singletrack fast. At least I didn't get stuck behind crowds who couldn't ride the singletrack at all! (I'm not trying to be a snob here, everyone's got the right to have a stab at it, it just gets a little annoying when you're trying to ride your fastest) I'm amazed by the numbers who were walking the Arrasey descent in your video.
  • I'm going to upload my vid at some point.

25min queue through Ballaugh, because it got slightly technical at the end there. Honestly, some people shouldn't be allowed near a bike.

Had to push up the first climb again because I got stuck behind pushers AGAIN, even though this one was wide enough for 3 abreast, the walkers all took over the smooth line, meaning riders were left going up the loose, rocky bit. And apparently some of them don't know right from left either as shouting "ON YOUR LEFT" as you approach causes them to panic and stop.

To top it all off, my matchmaker clamp disintegrated coming back up through ballaugh, leaving me with no gears. Had to retire at Brandywell.

THE RAAAGGGEEEEE!!!!!!
  • Yeah, that first climb... I had to weave my way through the walkers all walking up the best lines, but stalled behind one taking up far too much space near the top. Couldn't get going again and had to push to a flatter/dryer section. Maybe next year the organisers should emphasise that if you have to push/walk any section, perhaps you should make an effort to give way to those who don't?
  • I'm a pusher on the longer climbs but I always stay off the riding line and give way to anyone riding up! The queue at the Ballaugh plantation was ridiculous. I was expecting to come across a 6 foot drop off or something but a short muddy descent with a few wet roots was the cause!
  • tombaron wrote:
    Maybe next year the organisers should emphasise that if you have to push/walk any section, perhaps you should make an effort to give way to those who don't?

To be fair, they do, it's all in the welcome pack. People just ignore it on race day because generally speaking, people are all cnuts!

I was doing pretty well up the first climb, got behind one woman though and shouted on your left, and she just stopped and moved her bike sideways across the entire trail to see what was happening behind her. :roll:

Should have left her in a ditch with her head on backwards.

I'm actually going out at the weekend to ride Ballaugh on my own, should be really good actually as it was a really nice little bit of singletrack.

Don't think I'm going to do the E2E again now. It's a good event, but I think it's becoming spoiled by an increasing number of riders who are either out of their depth, or completely inconsiderate.

Think I'm going to start training to do the 24hr enduro as a solo instead. That's still a pretty small event at the moment.
  • Dan, hope you don't mind a slight hijack on your thread. But here is my vid: shows the extent of the pushathon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhLYhf5r1DE

Sadly I had to retire at brandywell because of the aforementioned mechanical leaving me with no gears.
  • dan and cat great vids really see why i got wound up with the wooded sect now, couldn,t believe they didn,t put a longer chicken run in for the lesser experienced, cat thats my mate fat brickie with the blue mohican in front of you i thought you had passed him at the start of the single track, i went rigid single speed 29er got 5.03 but my cycle speedo and garmin were 4.56/4.54 it was windy but still enjoyed it, had to push up some hills but was sensible and still managed to keep up with some peddelers, love that sect with the jumps down to the road and the fields towards the end
  • Dan, hope you don't mind a slight hijack on your thread. But here is my vid: shows the extent of the pushathon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhLYhf5r1DE

Sadly I had to retire at brandywell because of the aforementioned mechanical leaving me with no gears.

Nice, seems we both had the same idea on the switchbacks before the plantation :wink: Shows nicely just how long the delay actually was and how relatively easy the descent that was causing the problem was! Fcuking noobz.
  • Yeh, and if it'd have uploaded properly you'd have seen we both had the same idea on the descent down to brandywell too.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Did it a couple of years ago but that's ridiculous, it looks like the local Ramblers club day out!
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    On the subject of the E2E, Nick Craig. You can tell he's bloody sponsored, riding the last few miles on just his rim at the back! Great two vids there guys
  • Yeh, he came flying up the howe on it and to his credit, he was still only about 20min behind Elliot.
  • tombaron wrote:
    Very interesting, I was a bit further up the pack and was frustrated by those who couldn't ride the singletrack fast. At least I didn't get stuck behind crowds who couldn't ride the singletrack at all! (I'm not trying to be a snob here, everyone's got the right to have a stab at it, it just gets a little annoying when you're trying to ride your fastest) I'm amazed by the numbers who were walking the Arrasey descent in your video.

This was the 2nd year I have done this ride and it will be my last. I got held up at every wooded section, spending 30 mins at the first whilst people took their bikes for a walk. I'm not a snob and I'm not a mental downhiller either but the number of people who slammed on the brakes and went at a snails pace when the terrain went downhill was unbelievable.
    GT Force Carbon Expert
    Carrera Fury