MTB shoes under £150 / USD 240 Comparison

cadel89
cadel89 Posts: 7
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone,

I need new MTB shoes and I would like your comments on these options and which one would you buy:

SIDI Eagle 5 Pro

Shimano XC60

Northwave Striker 2012

Specialized Comp 2012

I sincerely appreciate your help!!

When finished, go and ride!!!!

Comments

• You haven't provided any links but I presume these are all super-racey, XC, SPD shoes?

Not really my bag but if I had to chose I'd go with the Specialized, only 'cos I've been using Specialized BG Tahoe's on the Rockhopper for the past couple of years - and they're very good (but useless in the wet if you're a UK rider)
    specialized-bg-tahoe-2010-mtb-shoe.jpg
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I would buy the ones that fit me best - this is far more important than anything else
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • Good afternoon everyone, thanks for your comments here are the links so you can take a look:

Sidi :
    http://www.sidiuk.co.uk/MTB/eagle-5.html

Specialized:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec026153

Northwave:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/nor ... e-ec038494

Shimano:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-12-45969

I know that the fit is the single most important thing but I am buying them online as I am currently living in Trinidad and Tobago and unfortunately I don't have any shops were I can go to try all of these on. I have tried the specialized and the shimano in the past and I have owned a pair of Northwave before so I know my size in all the different brands. I hope the really good sizing chart of SIDI works as well. So what do think of the Shimano Vs Northwave V. Specialized Vs. SIDI?
    Thank you everyone
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    With the amount of trail walking I used to do when I live in Trinidad (2005-2007) I wore out a pair of Sidi in 5 months.

Shimano don't seem to be able to build a quality shoe at all.

Northwave are nice, but ran a little wide for me.

Specialized have a great fit, and the ones I would pick from your list.
  • Marz many thanks for you comment,

I am keen to get the SIDI but I am just thinking that spending the money for a pair of shoes I have to wash every week due to the amount of mud in the Trini Trails may wear them up quickly.
  • Sidi's are a narrow fit I would definately go with the Specialized, I have two pairs and would highly recommend them
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    I have really wide feet so bought the spesh shoes. Just their most basic MTB model this year.
    love them!
  • marz
    cadel89 wrote:
    Marz many thanks for you comment,

I am keen to get the SIDI but I am just thinking that spending the money for a pair of shoes I have to wash every week due to the amount of mud in the Trini Trails may wear them up quickly.

They are a great shoe and comfy, but not really built to take some real abuse. And after spending a bunch of money on Sidi's it was pretty painful to watch them fall to pieces over just a few months.

Seems I missing an uptake in MTBing in Trinidad with new races and events. I may have to make an excuse to get down there again.
  • Marz good afternoon,

I finally got the SIDI Eagle 6 Carbon SRS but the size was one to big so I will have to exchange them.

My first impression was that for the money they are worth the materials don't look like such high quality. The painted signs on the upper lack a clean and smooth finish. Use, may probably proof me wrong. What I do have to say is that the quality of the sole is incredible. Also it has small details for a better fit. Like the special adjustable heel. Or the tongue has a special padded area that is very confortable. Also the velcro straps have a little red area to prevent them from comming loose (but sincerly with my plain North Wave old shoes I never had any issues with the straps so this may be one of those unnecessary developments).

A big thanks for everyone who shared their opinion.
  • marz
    Nice choice, SIDI do make an awesome shoe that feels great. Just don't mess then up too bad when you're trekking your bike up El Tucuche. :)