Shiny new SLX Groupset

adrenalinemunki
adrenalinemunki Posts: 213
edited September 2012 in MTB general
Hi guys,

So, I placed an order for a full 2013 SLX groupset, and the bits arrived and I had them fitted today.

I have 2 questions.

1) Do you think as part of going "full SLX" the disc rotors and hubs should have been included? I paid £575 and thought the disc rotors were included but it seems not...

2) Since everything was being replaced, do you think it is right that they reused my old shifter cables? Is it just me that thinks they should have whipped a couple of decent ones off the shelf to finish the job properly?

Let me know if I'm being picky... Don't get me wrong all in all I'm very happy but I've spent a lot of money don't ya know...

Comments

• Did you not check that the disc rotors were included before you ordered? Did they not ask you what size rotors and what mounts you wanted? Hubs don't normally come as part of a groupset.

And new Shimano shifters usually come with cables
  • New shifters definitely normally come with cables, a new cable only costs 2-3 quid so your man there is being a wee bit on the cheap side if he is reusing cables - did he fit end caps on the cable, cut new outers?

I have never had a groupset fitted by a shop but if I did I would probably expect new rotors too.

Edit: Merlin Cycles do a SLX groupset http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/groupsets-mtb/shimano-slx-10-speed-disc-brake-groupset.html includes discs. Its £430 from them down from 600 so if you paid 575 fitted I guess you have a saving on RRP - maybe without the discs its cheaper?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I appreciate this advice is totally useless now as its after the event, but it always pays to be sure what you're getting. Groupset deals can vary a lot in terms of whats actually included. If you get them online it always seems to be pretty clear, but I guess the issue here was a verbal agreement from a shop?

Whenever I've bought a groupset its always been without brakes. I would have thought a groupset would come with rotors if you did buy it with brakes, but I can't be sure. Check some websites if you want to know.

I've never seen a groupset come with hubs, so that sounds right.

As for reusing the shifter cables - that is tight, they should have been new. It wouldn't have been included, but new outers are a good idea too.
  • When I ordred it I specced up that I wanted a medium cage, iSpec shifters, 24/38 Crank, shadow+ rear mech, etc but I didn't specify a rotor size - assumed they would just make the call.

Maybe the inner cable is new, but the shielding is definitely the grubby old one...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    When I ordred it I specced up that I wanted a medium cage, iSpec shifters, 24/38 Crank, shadow+ rear mech, etc but I didn't specify a rotor size - assumed they would just make the call
    How? they have no idea what fittings you would need. which is why they are not normally part of a group set.
    Maybe the inner cable is new, but the shielding is definitely the grubby old one...
    sounds like they fitted everything you supplied.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sorry, but it sounds to me like you didn't do your homework on this properly before you pulled the trigger.

As Nick says, it sounds like they fitted everything you provided. Did you order all this through your LBS then get them to build it up, or did you order it online, and just get the LBS to build up something you bought elsewhere?
  • Nono, just told them that I wanted to go full 2013 SLX, drivetrain and brakeset... then I specified the bits where I thought there was an option such as the crankset etc and let them get along with the ordering and fitting...

Just wanted to pay them to sort it all, afterall they know a lot more than I do and assumed they'd just get what was required taking my bike and options into account...
  • Nono, just told them that I wanted to go full 2013 SLX, drivetrain and brakeset... then I specified the bits where I thought there was an option such as the crankset etc and let them get along with the ordering and fitting...

Just wanted to pay them to sort it all, afterall they know a lot more than I do and assumed they'd just get what was required taking my bike and options into account...

See, you specified drivetrain and brakeset, not hubs/wheelset.

To be honest (and with all due respect to you) it sounds like you were clearly a little confused about it all, and as such, the LBS could perhaps have been a little more helpful and forthcoming with details, purely in the interests of customer service. I would have expected them to provide an itemised list ahead of time too, just for confirmation.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    That seems like a lot of money to me, all considered. You can get an SLX groupset with a bike attached to it for a couple of hundred quid more.
  • A new groupset is always going to be more expensive comparitively than a prebuilt bike witht he same groupset.

I would personally expect a decent bike shop to talk you through your options and part selection is you were spending all that cash with them - £600 is a fair chunk of change to throw down with a store on upgrading a bike and I'd hope they'd be keen to share a bit of info beyond just taking the order. I'd also think they'd throw in some new outers - they cost next to nothing and would be considered important.

Poor service by the bike shop I'd say but not a rip off as such.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Bit late to this but my 2 cents. Just recieved 2 boxes with shiny new 2013 SLX shifters. The inner cables were already in place as you'd expect. Also in the boxes were complete sets of outer cable, all ferrules and the blanks for replacing the gear indicators, the later was a very pleasant surprise.