Second Broken spoke

sharp910sh
sharp910sh Posts: 90
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hello.

I have a planet x bike, with Planet X Model B About 5 weeks ago a spoke on my rear wheel broke, so i got it replaced. I replaced the broken spoke with a different spoke, different cross-section at evans.

This morning another spoke broke, a different spoke.

So now i have a problem. Do I chuck the wheel and buy a new spoke or just replaced the spoke again?

Thanks.

Comments

• tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    Replace the spoke and at the same time get the wheel trued, if not it will keep happening
  • I got the wheel trued while the spoke was replaced last time. i do not want this to keep occurring.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    when a spoke fails, the adjacent spokes are placed under a lot more tension, especially on lower spoke-count wheels

replacing a single spoke is asking for more failures

i'd replace (at least) the spokes next to the previous failed spoke as well as the ones next to the second failure AND detension the whole wheel and rebuild it

if you're using different spokes it's making life more difficult, get the correct ones and do the rebuild to px's specified tension (email/call them)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks for the reply. Planet x no longer sell the spoke I want as it is now discontinued. They are kind of useless. So the only option was to use a different spoke (non-aero spoke). I do not know what to do. Planet x will not help me they just said buy any old spoke with the same length.

Will any old aero spoke do as planet x keep telling me?

What do you think I should do?

I was thinking of buying a new wheel, where replacement parts are easy to find. Do you know any rear wheels for less than £100 which are less than 1kg suitable for commuting to work?

Many thanks.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    hmm, someone else with px wheels may be able to identify the spokes - try posting in the workshop forum

if you have an old fashioned bike shop near you, see what they'll charge for replacing the 4-5 spokes involved with some that are a decent match and retruing the wheel

it's not a complex job, as long as they're experienced it could be done for a reasonable price
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sharp910sh wrote:
    Hello.

I have a planet x bike, with Planet X Model B About 5 weeks ago a spoke on my rear wheel broke, so i got it replaced. I replaced the broken spoke with a different spoke, different cross-section at evans.

This morning another spoke broke, a different spoke.

So now i have a problem. Do I chuck the wheel and buy a new spoke or just replaced the spoke again?

Thanks.

Your spokes are suffering fatigue. Luckily, your wheels have standard J spokes and can be rebuilt with new spokes. If you are based in London and interested, I can rebuild your wheel at a fair price. Alternatively, find a decent shop in your area willing to do the same. A fair price would be around 50-60 pounds
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Depending on the condition of your hub and rim, look into getting the wheel rebuilt with something like Sapim CX-ray spokes. The hub will last longer than the rim, so if the rim is well worn then you could look into replacing that as well.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:
    Depending on the condition of your hub and rim, look into getting the wheel rebuilt with something like Sapim CX-ray spokes. The hub will last longer than the rim, so if the rim is well worn then you could look into replacing that as well.

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but 24 CX ray + the build will cost more than getting a replacement wheel. The only sensible way of getting this done is using double butted spokes.

There is a lot of hype around CX rays spokes, mainly due to some builders selling them as the ultimate strong spoke, simply because they do well in fatigue tests.
    They are not that strong and on the rear wheel they only build stiff if the rim is already stiff, such as a high profile carbon one.
    It's all hype, they have a tiny aero adavantage and they belong with high profile wheels, any other use is just a waste of money
    left the forum March 2023
  • I have decided just to buy a new wheel. It seems easier, rather than waiting for ages to get all or some of the spokes replaced. I live in Guildford, and there are no small bike shops just the large ones.

Does anyone know a good wheel to buy? I weight 95kG.

Thanks