Magicshine MJ-872 light

clwydian_rider92
clwydian_rider92 Posts: 416
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Just wondered whether anyone has any experience with this light:

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/products/ ... J-872-LSET

Has got a good a review on this website and is a lot cheaper than rival lights.

Thanks!
Giant XTC SE 2006
Cube LTD Race 2009
Trek Fuel EX 9

Comments

• My mate and his friends dumped their expensive lights or didnt bother soending £200 + and got these instead and swear by them, so I went online and bought some last night :) eBay FTW!
    Bike: Yeti SB5C
    Car TVR Sagaris and TVR T350
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Bought one last year to see what all the fuss was about it's like having a small sun on the handlebars.

It's bright like a nuclear explosion but also uncontrolled like a nuclear explosion - there's light everywhere up/down/left/right as well as in front but it doesn't really matter it just floods your field of vision with light. Have subjected it to frequent intense neglect but it keeps on working. Small lightweight inexpensive easy to use.

Also have a Lumicycle XPG which in very similar in terms of light output but more controlled and even and obv much better made but then again it did cost 3x more.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got one. Used it for MTBing (in unbelievable downpours :roll: ) and long countryside commutes through the winter. Absolutely flawless.

As said above, it's a flood of light, but I think that's a good thing. Everything in front of you is bathed in smooth, even light. Much better than the £30 XML that had a much too narrow beam.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Agree with the above, I've got the same one, in silver, from the dealextreme website.

It's my second magicshine light.

I had one of the originals, which was bright enough, but had a very poor batterypack (basically just 4 batteries in shrink wrap). Once that died, I searched for a replacement and found the new style batterypacks.

The new ones with the proper pack are much more durable. I've had mine over a year now and it's still working very well. The heat dissipation seems better on the newer ones too.

As said above, it's a very floody light. But that's ideal for me as I also use one of the torches on my head which has more of a spot beam on it.
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    Yep I have one, I have been running it since Christmas, mainly attached to my lid,( didn't say helmet as I though I might get a few sniggers).
    It's been through snow, rain, wind and warm evenings with no bother at all, battery life pretty good, no problems with running or charging times.
    As said above it's a very "floody" light and I have just received and Ultrafire 502b of which will replace the MJ-872 on my lid (still not calling it my helmet) but I will set the MJ-872 onto my bars.
    Really pleased with it so far.

Towny
  • I have the MJ 808 @ 900 lumens, had it for 2 years now, really good light
  • Thanks for all of the advice. Bought a set last week, but yet to get out on the trail with them yet. However from just having them on outside, they look very very bright!
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • Ive got the mj816, the "mickeymouse" style, had it nearly 2 years now and still working a treat, bit wobbly but awesome for the price compaired to bigger brands.
  • Bought two over a year ago one for the lid and one for the bars absolutely awesome really light up the trail, supprised they aint shot up in price as they are as good as the hideously expensive ones.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • I've got one, and as a result so have five others that I ride with. Value for money they are absolutely faultless. Would highly recommend them to anyone.