Hope bottom bracket truvativ conversion

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm planning on converting to a Hope BB, my most recent SRAM one has lasted about 6 months and now sounds like a bag of spanners.

In the Hope how to video, the fella fits the spacers (I understand why I need these) by whacking them with a big hammer and a 6001 bearing tool. Is there an alternative to this or is it another thing I need to buy and only use once!?

Comments

• Whoa there. What video? What BB and crankset?
    I've never needed a spanner for a Hope BB.
  • I have a truvativ crankset, exact model unknown. I want to fit a hope bottom bracket. There's a how to video on hope's website showing the fitting of the conversion kit, two spacers which go either side of the non-drive side (I think) cup. He places one in, whacks it, then flips it over at which point he needs this bearing tool thingie in order to whack the other spacer in. It's that that I don't have and wonder if there's an alternative?
  • I know which video you mean.

I'd just find something similar to use.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes the two top hat reducers need pressing onto the bearing.

but before you do that make sure the BB has been faced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    but before you do that make sure the BB has been faced.

What exactly does that mean? Can I not simply remove the old bb and replace with the new one? (I'm trying to teach myself bike maintenance as I go along.)
  • nicklouse
    see the FAQs or Parktools.

if it aint been done you will be getting through BBs faster than you should.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I see what you mean. At this stage I'm just assuming it's been done. My bike is a shop bought complete bike, and I had the last bb fitted by LBS. If it does need facing, I'm not gonna tackle that so the shop may as well fit the bb too!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    just use a socket and a hammer or something
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Zircon 0.1 (I assume it is that bike your talking about) has an external BB as standard (Truvativ S1400 GXP 2.2
    - looking at websites is so easy), so shell should be ready faced.

Or is it a different bike with maybe a Truvative square taper on it now.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah that's my bike. I've heard the gxp bb's have lower reliability than shimano type equivalents, but the hope one seems to come well recommended. Don't mind paying a little more for extra quality
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The GXP have a dreadful rep, but you may as well wait for it to go graunchy before replacing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The GXP have a dreadful rep, but you may as well wait for it to go graunchy before replacing with a shimano chainset.
    There, fixed it for you :D
  • nicklouse
    Yeah that's my bike. I've heard the gxp bb's have lower reliability than shimano type equivalents, but the hope one seems to come well recommended. Don't mind paying a little more for extra quality
    and the reason is normally due to poorly prepared frames.
  • Changed my Truvativ GXP bottom bracket to a Hope one recently. The GXP died after 6 months use, it got sloppy and started clonking.

My local LBS fitted it with the spacer and all that, works fine. Cant tell any difference between the old and new apart from the fact it now works like it should. ‘Hope’fully it will last a lifetime.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x