New Carbon Frame Search-don't want BB30 or derivative!

ginsterdrz
ginsterdrz Posts: 128
edited September 2012 in Road general
I'm after a quality, light weight carbon frame for long distance/sportive rides but everything I latch onto or research has BB30 or one of the other new fangled standards. I don't want the hassles of creaking, poor fit or premature bearing failure which most seem to suffer with. No manufacturer seems immune and there's growing speculation as to what the advantages are based on the problems.

Shimano won't get involved, which speaks volumes to me.

Anyone hear any rumours about frames returning to threaded B/B's in 2013/2014?

Comments

• any other sweeping generalisations or are you done now?

If you're dead against BB30 but otherwise like the frames you can get converters eg
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom

sure you'll get of other suggestions
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    ebay stock carbon frames that are standard or not as cutting edge
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Ful ... %26ps%3D54
  • If you want a real quality bike to match your requirements have a look ar the Scott CR1 range.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Mickyg88 wrote:
    If you want a real quality bike to match your requirements have a look ar the Scott CR1 range.

Beat me to it! :mrgreen:
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,470
    Trigon RQC-29 comes in either BB30 or standard threaded BB - brilliant frame (as I can testify to myself), although more race orientated than long-distance/sportive.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Have you considered something with Sturmey-Archer gearing?
  • neeb
    Another option is one of the Deda frames, they all seem to have BSA BBs. The Assoluto is their long distance/sportive option and looks very nice.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'm afraid that despite BB30 being an engineering abomination, it's unlikely to go away quietly for a few more years and can't see that threaded BBs will ever see a resugence either. Interestingly both Shimano and Campgnolo are sticking to steel or titanium spindles for their chainsets and can see that once someone works out how to do it properly, then press-fit designs (PF30 or BB86/90) are likely to be the norm because they're cheaper to produce.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The more digging I do, the more horrified I become about BB30. Even PF BB30 bikes are having problems though the nylon bearings are supposed to be more forgiving to frame tolerances. From my purely engineering view point, I cannot see that BB30 is the way forward-hardened steel bearings outers being pressed into alloy tubes with tight tolerances are going to cause deformations in the alloy if the process is not carried out perfectly. That doesn't even consider repeated removal and refitting. Some tool manufacturers recommend hitting the removal tools with a hammer (Park etc) £2000 frame with exact BB dimensions??? No thankyou.

It might be cheaper and easier for the manufacturers. BB30 'may' be marginally stiffer and a little lighter but I think it's a definite case of form over function or the Emperors New Clothes!

BEWARE!!!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW Cannondale didn't invent BB30 - they bought it when they acquired Magic Motorcycle back in the 1990s. Unfortunately, BB30 wasn't designed for the sloppy tolerances experienced in high-volume manufacturing which is the main reason for all the problems experienced by users.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • neeb
    Ginsterdrz wrote:
    BB30 'may' be marginally stiffer and a little lighter but I think it's a definite case of form over function or the Emperors New Clothes!
    I guess it isn't even that for the (majority?) of people who are just using the same cranks as they would in a BSA BB, except with press fit instead of screw-in cups... I've had no trouble from my press fit BB30 Campagnolo cups on my Trigon (they have been well loctited in!), but I sometimes wish I'd just gone for the BSA frame option, I can't see how it would have been any different performance wise.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Try these guys, the Thompson Capella is a awesome frame, that Andrew uses in events like the Tour de Mont blanc and the World Masters in S.Africa this year, its on my list for next year, especially as i ve seen how good a friends Thompson alloy R7200 has proven to be.
    the finish on these frames puts anything i ve ever seen to shame and you can get a custom paint job as well.
    http://www.cicli-di-tomsoni.com/index.php

I think you are right to be wary of BB30, even if it works its not home spanner friendly, and every forum has a BB30 issues thread somewhere !
    Oh ! and stay away from Sturmey Archer gearing - you only get 3 speeds (5 if you r lucky) they r heavy, leak oil and are a nightmare to rebuild.