Avg. Speed on the rise

iampaulb
iampaulb Posts: 159
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I have attached some data from garmin connect account. Hopefully encourage people to push them selves and to show it can be done. I have gained about 3/4 mph on my average speed over the course of a month id say...So it can be done if you put effort in, i want to aim for 20mph at least on my average. Slowly getting there...

Comments

• Well done, but a word of caution - you'll only really know when you do this over many rides over quite an extended period, especially comparing the same loop. Even then, the weather makes such a big difference that it can make you think you're getting faster (or slower!)

I did a similar thing, but over eighteen months, on a spreadsheet of my own devising, keeping an eye on the rolling average - that's a nice way to see if the trend is up or down, and yes, it's a good way to push yourself. I had the same 20mph target on my regular 22-mile loop, and it is a great motivator. It hurts though.
  • iampaulb
    iampaulb Posts: 159
    edited September 2012
    LOL your telling me, i was in a headwind on sunday, and oh my i felt like i was going backwards, suddenly dropped from a nice steady speed of 20mph to 13mph. B*asterd headwind...Your right though keeping track of the avg is a good motivator. Next time i ride the same route im going to try and beat the avg.

on that note off to the gym to do squats :P

PS: your supersix is siiiiick!!! how are those tyres?
  • Well done with your rides, but three weeks of data isn't worth too much when doing 'averages'. Try calculating the average over a month and then try the next month as well.

All that data says to me is that you slow down on slight hills, a lot.

I'm not sure of the 20mph average unless you;re measuring it over very short distances.
  • Well done with your rides, but three weeks of data isn't worth too much when doing 'averages'. Try calculating the average over a month and then try the next month as well.

All that data says to me is that you slow down on slight hills, a lot.

I'm not sure of the 20mph average unless you;re measuring it over very short distances.

LOL give me time...only had the bike a few weeks, thought the improvement was good IMO . Time will tell and im fully aware of that, just thought it might encourage a few newbies like myself :D
  • iampaulb wrote:
    on that note off to the gym to do squats :P

PS: your supersix is siiiiick!!! how are those tyres?
    Haha, don't rely on squats or gym work to improve your averages! (See plenty of other threads ... light blue touch-paper and stand well back.) Just get out on your bike and set yourself some targets (distance/speed), and then mix up your riding (short & hard, longer and steadier etc.) and above all enjoy your riding and do plenty of it.

Re the SuperSix- yes, lovely bike. Can't decide between the Ultremos and Conti GP4000s - I'm on the latter at the moment, but the Ultremos are very nice too.
  • Lol! More bike time will only improve my riding gym helps and keeps me entertained when it's dark!
  • Don't get too demotivated when your average speed begins to fall in the next couple of months. I find I ride about 2-3mph slower during the winter, even on dry days. If you keep going through the winter you will feel the benefit when March rolls around.
  • If average speed is what motivates you, go for it. :)

Personally I think it has its limitations, particularly if you don't do the same runs regularly, and it doesn't account for the highs and lows particularly well, but I can see why it's a good progress indicator. You can improve quite substantially (eg increase speed on a tough section by 3mph) though without your average speed changing all that much, which is another reason why it isn't my favourite number to use.

I have to admit that despite that, the knowledge that I'm capable of attaining an average over 25mph (for not much more than 20 miles I wouldn't think) for example, or that if I'm averaging 18mph that's a perfectly acceptable speed, does motivate me. And frustrate me, in times like these when I moreorless don't get to cycle at all. :lol:
  • I think that the ISP (Internet Speed Police) will be watching this thread. Also look out for the WWSs (Willy Waving Sensors). Both are normally required on 'Average Speed' threads.
  • Well done, but a word of caution - you'll only really know when you do this over many rides over quite an extended period, especially comparing the same loop. Even then, the weather makes such a big difference that it can make you think you're getting faster (or slower!)

I did a similar thing, but over eighteen months, on a spreadsheet of my own devising, keeping an eye on the rolling average - that's a nice way to see if the trend is up or down, and yes, it's a good way to push yourself. I had the same 20mph target on my regular 22-mile loop, and it is a great motivator. It hurts though.

+1
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    You can improve quite substantially (eg increase speed on a tough section by 3mph) though without your average speed changing all that much, which is another reason why it isn't my favourite number to use.
    That is exactly why I take it into consideration - as I commute by bike as often as possible I've got some pretty reasonable stats on my "average" speed for that run. You can see when there is adverse wind or wet as the speed drops.

However, on the dry runs I will often target a segment and whilst I don't achieve a full blown attack on it (I've still got to ride the rest of the way to/from work!) I can sometimes see some significant improvements on that section - if I've attacked it correctly and got the legs - but my average speed for the whole ride can suffer because of that - all that indicates is that I can put in a load of effort in a short time - but not sustain the higher level over a longer period.

In effect, looking at sections in isolation is comparing your interval training results - where as the end goal is usually to get the overall speed higher.

Like all stats - you can make them say what you want - but you need to take a critical look at everything that influenced the ride if you want to measure your improvement. Things like riding in a group, wind, vehicles passing you, time of day, traffic congestion etc etc all have an impact on your speed for that ride - so you may think you're faster (or not) during that one ride, but the critical part is the repeat in different conditions.
  • This is quite an interesting read about the effects of bad weather on speeds/effort

http://www.icebike.org/Articles/SlowerWinter.htm
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    simona75 wrote:
    This is quite an interesting read about the effects of bad weather on speeds/effort

http://www.icebike.org/Articles/SlowerWinter.htm

That is good - thanks for that. When I get home from work I'll post some of my own data on this.

Clearly though, the implication from the article is to really think about winter kit and to try to keep it as aero as possible.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • for winter clothing, if i do go out in the winter. I plan on getting some of that Nike Pro Sport stuff, the skin tight long sleeved and tights. Or some kind of thermal, but going to try and get lycra tight as much as possible lol
  • slowbike
    TBH - it doesn't matter that much - what you're doing is keeping the engine performing - all that is doing is outputting power that is then dissipated in various forms - mostly in disturbing the surrounding air!
    It doesn't really matter that you'll "waste" more energy in moving air in the winter as the engine is still doing the hard work.
    Don't forget - the air gets denser as it gets colder - so takes more effort to move it - I see point 9 in the linked article deals with that though ... :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slowbike wrote:
    TBH - it doesn't matter that much - what you're doing is keeping the engine performing - all that is doing is outputting power that is then dissipated in various forms - mostly in disturbing the surrounding air!
    It doesn't really matter that you'll "waste" more energy in moving air in the winter as the engine is still doing the hard work.
    Don't forget - the air gets denser as it gets colder - so takes more effort to move it - I see point 9 in the linked article deals with that though ... :)

True enough but if you are driven to try to maintain your summer speeds, then effectively you are training harder which is possibly no bad thing!

Here is my average speed summarised since March 2010 when I started recording journey time. This years near linear increase is quite an intriguing trend (the trend is a 45 day moving average). There's a number of variables in their including different bikes and distances but most journeys are commutes either on a Carbon Ribble or steel Dawes Tourer (plus occasionally heavy MTB with nasty draggy brakes!). Green line shows mileage which is well down on last year. I think that partly explains the different trends this year and last. Also the dudd weather this year and also the spring spent commuting on the Dawes when the Ribble was away for a frame swap.

MilesgraphSept2012.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    Until I read this I was quite happy with my 15-16mph ave. after two years regular cycling.

Feel like giving up now as I'm clearly utter shite.
  • slowbike
    karlth wrote:
    Until I read this I was quite happy with my 15-16mph ave. after two years regular cycling.

Really depends on what and where you're riding ...

if you're doing that in the Scottish or Welsh mountains then most of us would be pleased ... if it's on the undulations through the Cotswolds but on an old shopping trolley then it's understandable ... if its on the flats in East Anglia on a top of the range carbon bling bike then yer - you're clearly utter shite! ;)
  • karlth
    Slowbike wrote:
    karlth wrote:

if you're doing that in the Scottish or Welsh mountains then most of us would be pleased ... if it's on the undulations through the Cotswolds but on an old shopping trolley then it's understandable ... if its on the flats in East Anglia on a top of the range carbon bling bike then yer - you're clearly utter shite! ;)

NE Derbyshire - usually about 50-100' climbing per mile. My morning commute (variation as done yesterday) is 15.8 miles, 950' ascent, and allowing for stops at junctions takes within a minute either way of an hour.

This is on what is to all intents and purposes a B'Twin Triban 3 with a rack and bag containing lunch and work clothes.

Not sure if that's utter shite or reasonable. ;) I do find some of the averages claimed here in beginners a little unlikely, that's all.
  • slowbike
    karlth wrote:
    Not sure if that's utter shite or reasonable. ;)
    Depends - are you completely knackered at the end - or can you stumble to your desk before you collapse?! ;)
    karlth wrote:
    I do find some of the averages claimed here in beginners a little unlikely, that's all.
    Oh - I dunno ... I "averaged" over 28mph the other day ... not for long though! ;)

Legs are feeling it a bit this week - got 2 PBs on Monday and nothing since ... this morning was really slow ...
  • karlth
    Slowbike wrote:
    karlth wrote:
    Not sure if that's utter shite or reasonable. ;)
    Depends - are you completely knackered at the end - or can you stumble to your desk before you collapse?! ;)
    karlth wrote:
    I do find some of the averages claimed here in beginners a little unlikely, that's all.
    Oh - I dunno ... I "averaged" over 28mph the other day ... not for long though! ;)

Legs are feeling it a bit this week - got 2 PBs on Monday and nothing since ... this morning was really slow ...

In need of a drink usually, but otherwise fine. Mind, it helps that the last mile or so is this (feet and miles):

Over which I can average about 35mph, main limitation being bottle versus cement lorries.

Bugger for the start of the return journey though.
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    A word of caution to those who are pushing themselves trying to increase average speed bit by bit - I got into a seriously overtrained state doing exactly this. It took a whole month of very, very gentle and easy riding to undo it.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    karlth wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    karlth wrote:

NE Derbyshire - usually about 50-100' climbing per mile. My morning commute (variation as done yesterday) is 15.8 miles, 950' ascent, and allowing for stops at junctions takes within a minute either way of an hour.

This is on what is to all intents and purposes a B'Twin Triban 3 with a rack and bag containing lunch and work clothes.

Not sure if that's utter shite or reasonable. ;) I do find some of the averages claimed here in beginners a little unlikely, that's all.

Not sure how many junctions/red lights you meet but that is not bad for a commute time.
  • karlth
    edited September 2012
    Well, it was 1 hr 5 mins yesterday, but I know I sat at one junction through a couple of changes (discretion better part of valour wrt filtering here) for over two minutes, and must have wasted two or three minutes at other junctions.

There is a much easier route - 14.5 miles, 700' climbing - but it's dull, dull, dull. I've never been sure what my flat speed is as there isn't a patch of flat road around here. Even the bits that look flat turn out to be false flats of around 3%.

It all neatly illustrates the importance of terrain in these average speed threads though - some people have the luxury of being able to call a ride with 20' ascent per mile "hilly" - that 14.5 miles with 700' - so just shy of 50'/mile - is as flat as you'll find around here.

You'll get my triple chainset off me when you prise if from my cold dead fingers - not that I use the granny much, but when I do, by thunder I'm glad it's there.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    andyeb wrote:
    A word of caution to those who are pushing themselves trying to increase average speed bit by bit - I got into a seriously overtrained state doing exactly this. It took a whole month of very, very gentle and easy riding to undo it.

WOW, what happened :?:
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    andyeb wrote:

WOW, what happened :?:

Cumulative effect of riding 180-200 miles a week too hard, trying to go just a little bit faster every time. It got so bad I couldn't climb one flight of stairs without feeling like I had just run a marathon. Even after a couple of days off :(