Glasses for mixed conditions

balmybaldwin
balmybaldwin Posts: 127
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

I've noticed recently that I'm struggling to pick up obstacles under trees, in shadows etc, especially on sunny days.

I'm currently using a pair of Endura Mullet Glasses: http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=398
Which are supposed to be light reactive, I think the problem is that they are still quite dark at their lightest.

My question is, what do you guys do when it's sunny, but you are plunging in and out of trees?

Would something like this be better: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rudy-project-ma ... tochromic/?

Or am I just better off going for clear lenses and squinting in the bright sunny bits?

Thanks
Bikes:
Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
Pinarello FP2 - Roadie

Comments

• Yellow / Orange tint works pretty well for me in the above situations.

I tend to leave those in unless it's either night-time, or incredibly bright sunshine.
    (very rarely see the latter though)
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    yup persimmons lens is the way to go
  • persimmons = yellow/orange tint?

Any recommendations for particular make/model? keen to get something that doesn't steam up too much etc
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • Yellow endura cheapies used to be my go to glasses - I am not bothered about bright light too much - I wear glasses to protect my eyes from flying objects not so much for sun.

I now have some Ryders with photochromatic - they are a light tint but I can foresee them being too dark for gloomy tree riding in autumn.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Yeh I'm the same, I just ride in a pretty cheap pair. Some people bang on about the superior optics in their £100 Oakleys etc, and fair play to them. But for me, they're a disposable item. £5 from Lidl or whatever, ride for a few months, then replace when they get sat on, lost, smashed, scratched etc.

Currently rocking some Bolle ones I got off t'ebay for about a tenner with 3 different coloured lenses.
  • Honestly, I just use my Oakleys for any riding that's not at night, and they have black lenses.
  • I wear Endura Piranhas and my riding takes me in and out of trees and therefore light and dark. I forget that I have them on to be honest and I am very fussy about eyewear. I cannot fault them in any way.
  • I used to wear orangey lenses, and they were fine but now I just go clear. I think I've thought "ooh, that's a bit bright" about once in the last twelve months.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Usually wear a pair of yellow lenses but just bought a pair with blue lenses and they seem work okay in mixed bright sun and trees. Kontrol gel shock blue
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I now have some Ryders with photochromatic - they are a light tint but I can foresee them being too dark for gloomy tree riding in autumn.

a) it's photochromic, no 'at' in there
    b) you realise that means they change based based on light levels?

To answer the OP I use Oakley Clear Black Iridium photochromic lenses, used to just use clear.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Some £10 Endura yellow ones here. Although bizarrely I sometimes still get stuff in my eyes.
  • Oakley's with Polarized lenses seem to be fine for everything 'round here but on the odd cloudy or rainy ride I'll put in the yellow ones
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • +1 for Endura Stingray Glasses

Have briefly tried a friends Lidl clear lense glasses and although they look the same the optics are terrible in comparison. The peripheral vision is like looking through a clear bottle. They will still save you from going blind tho so better than nothing.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    My mate has come back from hols in Turkey and bought me some Fakeleys. They are dark enough to use for arc welding.

I'm faster through the woods with them because I can't see any obstacles :wink: