Long Sleeve Jerseys

englander
englander Posts: 232
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I've been thoroughly enjoying the recent warm weather by embarking on many long bike rides. However, as the days grow shorter it's getting colder and colder. I've been wearing a nice skin tight short sleeve top (with the pockets on the back and everything) that I found in the charity shop I worked at. I'm now looking for something similar but with long sleeves.

I've been hunting and found things like this and this but they are loose i.e. not skin tight.

It shouldn't be quite so hard, but I'm basically looking for a skin tight long sleeve cycling jersey for max £20 to see me through the winter but I'm struggling! So I thought I'd ask here for tips from people who've been through it all before.
Specialized Allez 2010
Strava

Comments

• Tighter fits require more fabric engineering and more complex cuts -> therefore if you want a 'pro' fit you've generally got to shell out for more expensive garments.

I like the DHB windslam stuff which isn't too pricey: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-long-sleeve-windslam-jersey/

I've got the SS version and I'll be investing in the Long sleeve version and some Merino base layers for this autumn.
  • I make do with an Endura long-sleeve base layer under my normal short-sleeve jersey, and if it's really cold, either another sleeveless base layer under that, or a windproof jacket on top. That does nicely down to temperatures at which it's unsafe to go out. Saves buying more jerseys, and means you can layer up to match the temperature.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited September 2012
    You can do a lot worse than to pick up some long sleeve jerseys from Aldi next time they do a cycle kit sale. I have a few of them for commuting and they are excellent. And only about a tenner irrc. They tend to be a little long in the back for me but then I'm slightly oddly proportioned so that's probably my fault! They are good though and last a long while.

Another option for cheap kit is to see if Planet X have any of their Vifra Jerseys left. I bought three at their open day earlier this year for a tenner each. They are very vibrant (European race team jerseys!) but good quality - the long sleeve seems to have some sort of Roubaix lining.
    That does nicely down to temperatures at which it's unsafe to go out.

No such thing :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I make do with an Endura long-sleeve base layer under my normal short-sleeve jersey, and if it's really cold, either another sleeveless base layer under that, or a windproof jacket on top. That does nicely down to temperatures at which it's unsafe to go out. Saves buying more jerseys, and means you can layer up to match the temperature.

I'm liking the idea of layering. I saw some really good base layer things which were ideal if only they had the rear pockets, but if worn under my short sleeve then that solves the problem. That could potentially be the most economical option to my quandary.

Thanks for the input.

@Rolf: will definitely keep an eye out for Aldi/Lidl stuff. I went and checked out Lidl's cycle sale stuff recently but unfortunately I was beaten to it and my size was sold out.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Arm warmers? Good for chilly morning but warm evening commutes.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Though it depends on your shape, generally I think the Aldi clothes are a bit better - but depending where you live you may have to be in the shop on the first day. Around here (Leeds Bradford) mostly it's not so critical.

The base layers are good too.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Just about to buy one of these but I can't for the life of me decide whether to go L or XL. I'm 6'0", 42" chest, 32" waist, slim, which puts me at a L but the sleeve length looks a tad short so I'm erring towards XL but then will it no longer be as skin tight? :S

What a dilemma...
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • Englander wrote:
    Just about to buy one of these but I can't for the life of me decide whether to go L or XL. I'm 6'0", 42" chest, 32" waist, slim, which puts me at a L but the sleeve length looks a tad short so I'm erring towards XL but then will it no longer be as skin tight? :S

What a dilemma...

FYI - I am 6'1" 38" chest and the Medium is a good fit for me.
  • I make do with an Endura long-sleeve base layer under my normal short-sleeve jersey
    I wear a long sleeved smelly Helly (or two) as an outer on the MTB (backpack, no need for pockets) and they work just fine over a hell of a temperature range. I plan on using your approach with the road bike, and I'm sure it'll work just as well.
    Mangeur
  • fleehouse2 wrote:
    Englander wrote:
    Just about to buy one of these but I can't for the life of me decide whether to go L or XL. I'm 6'0", 42" chest, 32" waist, slim, which puts me at a L but the sleeve length looks a tad short so I'm erring towards XL but then will it no longer be as skin tight? :S

What a dilemma...

FYI - I am 6'1" 38" chest and the Medium is a good fit for me.

Great, thought I'd double check here because the chances are someone would have direct experience :) I will opt for the large to account for my superior chest measurement and the sleeves shouldn't be a problem!
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • I've got a thermal winter jersey which only really gets used in jan/feb when its really cold - other times I find base layers and and the non thermal stuff from here suits me

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/tenn-outdoors/

cheap too.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    You can do a lot worse than to pick up some long sleeve jerseys from Aldi next time they do a cycle kit sale. I have a few of them for commuting and they are excellent. And only about a tenner irrc.

Rumour has it that there will be another Aldi cycling sale at the end of this month.
  • I've just ordered a few bits from planet x, they have merino arm warmers for a tenner. Might be worth a look
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    I rode all through last winter without owning a ls jersey. Simply wore a merino ls base layer under my ss jersey when it was a bit nippy and added a gilet over the top if it got a bit colder. When it was really cold I just wore my cheapo aldi softshell jacket over the top of the base layer/short sleeve jersey combination.