pack my saddle bag

iampaulb
iampaulb Posts: 159
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Can someone suggest me a good inner tube, mini tool, levels, and co2 pump too fit inside my saddle bag. I have been riding 40 mile rides without anything like that. I feel my luck will soon run out...and ill be up sh*t creek without a paddle.

I am planning on doing a 140+ mile ride saturday and feel like having the right tools could be benifit

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I think you're just being lazy. Go to a lbs and get some stuff...its not hard.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Er - a good inner tube is the spare one without any holes in it ...
    Mini tool - just a collection of allen keys/screwdriver/chain tool - there's hundreds available - pick one of the well known brands
    levels - I don't think you need levels ... levers maybe ;) - may be included in the minitool above though - otherwise just your normal levers will be fine.
    CO2 pump - don't you have a bike pump? If not I suggest you may also need one of those ...

Best thing is to get yourself down to the LBS, select a saddlebag and fill it with goodies ...
  • LOL!!! no particular brand for decent inner tubes then?
    Was looking at pro tool mini tool.
    levers...yes i meant those :P
    no pump. Think id rather have a co2 pump unless i can find a super small pump

alaready got a saddle bag, normally just holds my iphone and keys lol
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    how many cartridges are you taking with your CO2 pump?

If you're riding a lot then just get a mini pump - it does take a bit longer - but at least you get to use it a few times ...

Take the saddlebag into the LBS and fill it up with goodies ... you have got a good LBS haven't you?
  • i can take as many as poss but id say 2 max...i reckon if i got a flat and i fixed it...id prob turn back home depending on distance
  • I need to pack mine also, doing 100 mile rides now without anything at all! :roll:

CO2 pump, levers, multitool, energy gels and a lightweight jacket is what I'm thinking. mini pumps don't fit in saddle bags..?
  • Sentral wrote:
    mini pumps don't fit in saddle bags..?

this is what puts me off a manual pump! dont fancy strapping anything to my carbon (composite) frame
  • Tyre levers... you won't know what you're gonna need to take with you until you've had your tyre off your rims because some combinations are easier to fit and remove than others. Three metal tyre levers with spoke hooks will (he says...) be enough, but you won't know if that's OTT until you've actually done it for real.
    Mangeur
  • iampaulb wrote:
    Sentral wrote:

this is what puts me off a manual pump! dont fancy strapping anything to my carbon (composite) frame

Will a small enough mini-pump fit in the back pockets?
  • iampaulb wrote:
    Sentral wrote:

Will a small enough mini-pump fit in the back pockets?

yeah it probs will, and that what ill end up doing if i go down that route.
  • I wouldn't like a hard shaft poking me in the back all the time :shock:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Don't bother with a multi-tool. Take just the two Allen keys that fit everything you could possibly want to adjust.

Tyre levers, spare tube (or two if you're doing a long ride) and either pump or a few CO2s, whatever lights your candle. No-one will mind.

The only other thing you'll need is some cash for beer at the end & a phone with a wife at the other end of it to come and fetch you if anything more dramatic than a couple of punctures happens. Your own wife is the best option, other wives are available.
  • CiB wrote:
    Your own wife is the best option, other wives are available.

im single so ill take option b

good idea about the allen keys though,
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-loaded-s ... ith-tools/
    plus a decent pump and inner tube of your choice.

Save CO2 for group rides
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    remove saddle bag and discard

in middle jersey pocket put...

spare tube
    tyre lever - one is enough
    rema tiptop tt04 repair kit, because it's the law
    type boot - park tool, or a 2" section of toothpaste tube works too
    minipump (lezyne)
    minitool - small, but with a chain tool widget
    kmc missing link (it'll fit in the rema kit)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • iampaulb wrote:
    . I feel my luck will soon run out...and ill be up sh*t creek without a paddle

You may need a paddle then but after researching, I can't find one small enough for saddlebag. Sorry
    Good luch though
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I use one of these, it fits easily in my saddle bag along with levers, spare tube, allen keys, puncture repair kit and house key and mobile.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/4348 ... -bike-pump
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • I suggest self-adhesive patches too. I take 1 tube, patches, 2 allen keys, levers, my cellphone and my home keys. The mini pump goes in one of my back pockets (same with food). The patches are great in case you puncture more than once (provided they're good patches anyways).
  • I can remove and refit my tyres without levers. Obviously try it first...

The Airbone pump referenced above fits in a pocket and is adequate in use.

Paul
  • Oxford do a small extendable chrome pump about 5" long. Fits OK on my carbon frame, doesn't get in the way. Then multi tool. 3 levers, plastic and spare inner and phone and £10 note in the saddle.
  • In addition to allen keys, levers, spare tube and patches, I also take a packet of travel wipes. They're small enough to go in the saddle bag and are great for cleaning your hands if they're filthy after changing a flat, especially if you're wearing fingerless gloves and have white bar tape.