Is there a nice way of telling someone to go away?

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,632
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Two women in my office in my office have colds. One can barely speak. She was off sick yesterday but back in today. She sits a little way behind me but keeps wandering over to talk to the people sitting opposite me, standing right over my shoulder while she does.

I'm torn between being concerned that my leaning away from her while she does this is too blatant and a bit rude, and wanting to just tell her to go away as I don't want a cold.

What would you do bikeradar?

It's also harder to look at BR with someone standing over my shoulder...
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Cycle more, better fitness and bug resistance.

Simples
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    PBo wrote:

Simples

is it possible to cycle too much and be less resistant, think I'm in that zone :!:
  • Make a small purchase from here.

Casually put on your purchase when the lady next appears at your shoulder.

de_healthcare_surgical_masks.jpg
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • pangolin
    Haha! I am doing about 100 miles a week at the moment. Cycled today. But even the ideal amount doesn't completely immunise you, and I catching a cold would reduce the miles for a week or so, which I don't want either...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I'd get on it with the antibacterial gel and wipes, cleaning everything that she goes within five yards of.

If she asks why I'd just say I have a Very Big Important Cycle Race on Sunday and I don't want to catch her cold.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • pangolin
    That's not a bad idea! I am genuinely doing a 300k on the 22nd so a cold this week would ruin 'training' a bit.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    pangolin wrote:
    Haha! I am doing about 100 miles a week at the moment. Cycled today. But even the ideal amount doesn't completely immunise you, and I catching a cold would reduce the miles for a week or so, which I don't want either...

Take vitamins.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Sit there wearing this:

grandmashazmatsuit2.jpg

She *might* get the hint
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Don't shower, then people keep their distance..works for me.
  • iPete wrote:
    PBo wrote:

Simples

is it possible to cycle too much and be less resistant, think I'm in that zone :!:

Yes it certainly is possible to lower your immunity through too much cycling/exercise!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Just say:
    "You are a virus bag and I don't want to get an infection from you because of your lack of hygiene and lack of consideration for everyone in the office who you are exposing to your germ filled spittle."

Its not rude if you preface it with "No offence, but..."
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Just say:
    "You are a virus bag and I don't want to get an infection from you because of your lack of hygiene and lack of consideration for everyone in the office who you are exposing to your germ filled spittle."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6wOhtk3 ... detailpage
  • Can you not ban them for a week? Like admin did with DDD?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Just say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6wOhtk3 ... detailpage
    I said preface it with no offence. Its the height of rudeness to say it at the end.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • iPete wrote:
    PBo wrote:

Simples

Yes it certainly is possible to lower your immunity through too much cycling/exercise!

This. There is research which indicates heavy training can lower the immune system. One of the reasons why British Cycling are so keen on washing hands properly etc etc.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I always tell people straight to their face when they have a cold to keep away from me.

Heroes who struggle into work with a bad cold or flu and then give it to everyone else in the office / on the train, really grip my sh1t - and I point out that fact to them - I think it is really selfish of them!
  • pangolin
    jonomc4 wrote:
    Heroes who struggle into work with a bad cold ... really grip my sh1t

That sounds equally unhygienic.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Certain foods are proven to have a preventative effect on transmission of communicable diseases in the office. These include garlic, onion and brussel sprouts. I can knock you up a recipe for sprout bhaji that will definitely solve your problem if you eat enough.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Certain foods are proven to have a preventative effect on transmission of communicable diseases in the office. These include garlic, onion and brussel sprouts. I can knock you up a recipe for sprout bhaji that will definitely solve your problem if you eat enough.

A garlic onion and brussel sprout bhaji will keep people well away from you for a variety of reasons, it sounds fansmellyfartgarlicoozyporecurrybreathtastic
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Why not just tell her nicely? My boss pre-empted me once saying don't come in if you have a cold - for valid medical reasons he was v keen not go down with one himself at the time. There's no reason why she should take it in any way other than how it's intended, unless you leave the nicely bit off & tell her to sling her hook whilst she's got that stinking cold, coming over here passing her filthy germs around etc.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Worth making sure you aren't near anyone with a cold/bug just after you finish your ride as your immune system will be low. I read it's about 30 minutes, but not being in near contact with folk for a bit of time will help - i.e, as you get in, straight off to get cleaned up, changed, brew made. Then to the desk !
  • Just have some kids. After about 5 years you will have had every conceivable minor illness know to man and should have built a good base of immunity.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    jonomc4 wrote:
    Heroes who struggle into work with a bad cold or flu and then give it to everyone else in the office / on the train, really grip my sh1t - and I point out that fact to them - I think it is really selfish of them!

I agree, but my employers have changed their policy so that each day I am off ill will count against my at appraisal/ review / promotion time

Thus we now have people clearly unwell and infectious coming in to work to avoid being discriminated against. The scenario of ill person infecting office was raised, but employer doesn't care and wantrs everyone in everyday irrespective
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    jonomc4 wrote:
    I always tell people straight to their face when they have a cold to keep away from me.

I worked with a guy that did this (fortunatly not in the same office). He would struggle in when he had a cold and end up giving it to others in the office who usually took it worse than he did. As a result they had to take time off and were penalised for it when it came to appraisal time whereas he got praised (and a pay rise iirc) for struggling through it.

To sort of answer the original question. You could just take a leaf out the book of one woman that worked in the office with the guy. She would tell him to f*** off if he came anywhere near her when he was sick. He thought her "overreaction" was funny, no one else did.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Absolutely. I detest the attitude of coming into the office with a cold - and tell people off when they do.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • We have developed a much more relaxed attitude to working from home now. So if someone is 'ill' but not so ill they can't work but bad enough they'll infect everyone else; we kind of insist they bugger off and work from home.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    We have developed a much more relaxed attitude to working from home now. So if someone is 'ill' but not so ill they can't work but bad enough they'll infect everyone else; we kind of insist they bugger off and work from home.

the reason why VPN was invented!!

our contracts have just been changed so if you are off sick more than once you dont get paid - so loads of people struggle into work now coughing goo an bogies up

its not pretty
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    We have developed a much more relaxed attitude to working from home now. So if someone is 'ill' but not so ill they can't work but bad enough they'll infect everyone else; we kind of insist they bugger off and work from home.

Exactly the same policy here.

Can cause a bit of friction with the two ladies in the office who only have desktops though.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Two ladies?

A bit of friction?

VPL?

Sorry, I think I need to go off and get a tissue and I never even had a cold when I came in this morning so it must be catching
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • pangolin
    Quick update. She left at 4. She only came over a couple more times during the afternoon, and I just wandered off both times.

Will I be ill?
    Won't I?

Stay tuned.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono