Genesis Core 10 - 140mm fork

rossi1981
rossi1981 Posts: 56
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi, this is my first post so go easy

i have a 2009 Genesis core 10 and i am planning on upgrading the forks. i fancy something with a longer travel.

will this bike handle a 140mm fork (rockshox Sektor)? or what is the maximum travel i could use?

thisng is i can get some Sektors for a good price and like the idea of them.

cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    would not go over 120mm as it is a 100mm XC bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • that sucks, kinda liked the idea of the sektors.

any decent 120mm forks in the £200 - £250 area?
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Rebas are pretty easily sourced in that price range. Probikeshop had them in the sales for about £230 a few weeks ago.
  • do u have a link to the probikeshop web site?
  • warpcow
    It's literally the first result that comes up in google. The first 3 in fact, since they have different sites in different languages.
  • yeah thats what i thought, the UK version doesnt seem to be working. I am at work though so it may have something to do with our firewall.

will try at home.

any other places i should try (other than CRD and winstanleys) for good prices on forks?
  • meant to say CRC not CRD
  • warpcow
    Merlin are almost always cheapest for RS forks in the UK. On One sometimes have good specials too. Then there's the Germans: bike-discount, bike-components, hibike, bike24, actionsports. CRC is rarely cheap for much nowadays, but then you have to factor in the little bit extra for postage from mainland-EU if you're only buying small things.
  • thanks for the replies. will keep looking a buy when i find a good deal. will avoid the 140mm sektors though :)
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The sektors should be fine I think. IIRC the Genesis frames are the same across the 10, 20 and 40. All feature reinforced headtubes and the same angles. The 40 had a 130mm fork in 2009.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I would contact genesis and ask. The 2010 review of the core 20(same frame as the core10) done by WMB says, "Genesis even give the nod for up to 130mm-travel forks if you’re looking to upgrade later."
    I've got Soul.
  • i have sent a message to genesis so will wait to hear back.
  • just had a look at the 2009 core 40. its the same frame as mine. and as you said comes with 130mm forks. so will and extra 10mm make that much difference?
  • benpinnick
    Not much. I'd go for it. I think the frame was really designed to be 130. They just put 100s on to reduce the cost.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I had the 2009 Core 40 (it was bright orange) and I'm pretty sure the 40 and 50 had a different frame to the core 10, 20 and 30. The geometry may have been the same though. The 40 came with a recon u-turn 85-130mm fork so 140 should be ok really if the geo is the same.

Unless Genesis have had the frame officially tested as safe with 140mm or longer forks they'll tell you not to try though, but you don't have to listen!
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • The 2011 core 10 (same as 20 and 30 as others pointed out) im sure they will cover warranty up to 120mm travel forks I read somewhere, I was looking to upgrade myself. I wouldn't have thought a extra 10mm is going to change much, apart from the warranty would be gone.

Just realised you are looking at 140..that might be pushing it a little too much. Go for 130 imo.
  • aaaahhhhh!!!!! don't know what to do. would love to see some pics of my bike or a similar bike with 140mm forks on.

help me decide!
  • benpinnick
    Try and find out what the 130mm forks were for the year your bike was made. Then, find the axle to crown length of those. compare to that of the Rockshox.... you might find they are almost the same, in which case 130/140 its all the same and you would be home and dry.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    I did a quick look. The 130 mm Recons from the day were 509. A 140 sector is 522. That means you'll have an extra 13mm over what was originally specced. Allowing for 25% additional sag thats around 10mm more in real terms. I wouldn't think 10mm would make a lot of difference to the handling tbh, but its worth considering that the 130mm forks were u-turn, so could drop to 110 for climbing.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cheers for the reponse ben. helping me towards my final decision
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    benpinnick wrote:
    I did a quick look. The 130 mm Recons from the day were 509. A 140 sector is 522. That means you'll have an extra 13mm over what was originally specced. Allowing for 25% additional sag thats around 10mm more in real terms. I wouldn't think 10mm would make a lot of difference to the handling tbh, but its worth considering that the 130mm forks were u-turn, so could drop to 110 for climbing.
    yes it had a 130mm Uturn fork. and was still described as a 105mm frame with a bit more travel.

again i would not go over 120mm UNLESS it is am uturn fork that you can run at 110-120mm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • is the GT avalanche a 140mm frame? as i've seen a few using the sektors on them
  • also the sektors will be the dual position coil forks, so can be dropped to 110mm. any better?
  • benpinnick
    The reality is you won't know until you try. My gut feeling is it will be ok.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    even if it handles like sh*t, if you get the air fork, it comes with spacers so you can adjust the travel to 130mm (as i have done, well the LBS did for me...)

you could even buy another 10mm spacer and take them down to 120mm
  • take a look at this:

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4493861/

genesis core with a 140mm fork.
  • Update: forks ordered, just waiting for delivery now. not telling which i have ordered:-) will let you know how it goes when they turn up. cheers for everyones help on this
  • after a few problems with CRC i have now reveived my new fork and fitted them last night. i went for the 140mm sektors and can say they fit fine. head angle is not crazy and the axle to crown length is not that much longer than the SR Suntours that were on it previously. i will try and post some pics soon so you can have a look for yourselves. havent managed to ride it much (apart from around the driveway) but it feels good.