Sizing Question

Devon Lad
Devon Lad Posts: 75
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I am looking at buying a bike for uni, (something old, cheap, unlikely to get stolen) and a bike has caught my recently. Price is good, so is the spec, however the only drawback is the size. I am 6'2 and currently ride a 58cm frame. The bike is 54cm with a 56cm top tube, which i understand is far from ideal, however, I have ridden with mates of a similar size who ride smaller frames than me, and others who ride larger.

So my question is, adjusting the saddle and perhaps other things, could I squeeze onto a 54cm bike, bearing in mind its default use would be a small commute?

Thanks in advance!

Will

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Possibly. Might be worth swinging a leg over it and seeing how you get on as many bikes have a slightly different geometry and we all have slightly different dimensions for legs/arms/torso, etc. You may find that the bike feels right but just needs an extra cm on the stem, which is easily fixed. Look out for knee position over the pedals though...although you can still do something there by moving the saddle (fore/aft) or getting an offset seatpost, etc. Also, check to ensure that your ideal saddle height leaves enough seat post in the tube...again, you can buy a longer one if you need to.

I ride a 54 and two 53's and they are perfectly sized (I am 5'10). Personally, I have found that I much prefer a slightly smaller frame than one too big (I had a 56 and eventually swapped it for a 54 and wish I had done that about 2.5 years earlier).
  • If you can give it a go and see if it feels ok. If not go to lbs like centini in Plymouth above house of frazer and they can order you a different farm size
  • I think it would best to go and try the bike first, if its comfortable then why not.

Personally i wouldnt try and compensate for a frame that is too small with saddle adjustments ect.