Updating my OptiCube?

adri123
adri123 Posts: 32
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I've got a Cateye Opticube HL-EL220 which I've had for a few years. I'm after a replacement using newer (and I assume more powerful) LEDs.

What can you get these days that will run on 4 AA batteries?

TIA

Adri

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not much. But it depends on what use you have in mind. To light the trails up like day? To be seen on the roads?

Quality lights use 18650 cells.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    For commuting duties have a look at the Smart range of lights. I have the most powerful version of the Lunar front light. can't remember the output rating 25 or 30 lux. It runs on 2 AA and is more than bright enough to make sure you're seen, has cut outs so people can see the light from side on. Its even bright enough to use as an emergency get me home light if your main lights have failed.

For proper night riding lights to see where you are going take a look at the massive "what lights thread"

You won't find anything mega powerful designed for AA as they just don't have enough power, you'd need loads off them.
  • Just got a box of goodies delivered from CRC with one of those smart lunar light kits. Looks to be well built for the money and the front light is very bright on full power setting (35 Lux), lit up the end of my long ish garden a treat. Not the widest of beam patterns though by the looks of it but more than upto the job of night time road riding. Front light takes 2xAA and the rear is 2xAAA. Must admit I wasn't expecting much for £29 but am pleasantly suprised so far. Will need to wait for my bike to be delivered before I can test it out properly though. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=70347
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    yep that's the exact same one as I have :)

I prefer the narrow beam for road riding, lights up the road ahead without putting loads of glare at on coming drivers.