Bleak For Boonen?

ocdupalais
ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Poor old Tom.
He's going to be Gilbert's lady-dog at the Worlds, next year he'll get dicked by a resurgent Cancellara in the Classics and then be part of Cav's lead out train for everything else (assuming the latter goes to OPQ)...
What's he got to look forward to?

Comments

• Winning E3, Gent-Wev, flanders and roubaix again
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    People have said the same many times before, yet there he sits, top of the tree.
    He'll still be the big dog at OPQS and if it's Cancellara who has something to prove.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    100km solo next year.
  • ocdupalais
    Vino2007 wrote:
    Winning E3, Gent-Wev, flanders and roubaix again

Not going to happen.
    RichN95 wrote:
    People have said the same many times before, yet there he sits, top of the tree.
    He'll still be the big dog at OPQS and if it's Cancellara who has something to prove.

When Cancellara has something to prove, it only goes one way ...
    Besides, it's the best kept secret in Belgium: if you go to the spot where he fell off in Flanders you can still see the bidon where it's glued to the tarmac...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Vino2007 wrote:
    Winning E3, Gent-Wev, flanders and roubaix again

I think Rick is crying somewhere.... :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Can't see Boonen and Cav being at the same races.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

I imagine they'd both ride Qatar, KBK, TA, MSR and GW at the very least.

I can see them happily co-existing actually. They could be joint leaders for MSR (Boonen to go with the moves, Cav to be the sprinter if it comes back together), Boonen could ride for Cav at GW if Cav agrees to ride for the team at Flanders and maybe Roubaix. Boonen has no interest in riding the Tour so Cav can be their main man there, like he was at HTC.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Can't see Boonen and Cav being at the same races.

I can see them happily co-existing actually. They could be joint leaders for MSR (Boonen to go with the moves, Cav to be the sprinter if it comes back together), Boonen could ride for Cav at GW if Cav agrees to ride for the team at Flanders and maybe Roubaix. Boonen has no interest in riding the Tour so Cav can be their main man there, like he was at HTC.

Boonen can't go with the moves at M-SR.

He's more likely to arrive in contention at the finish but that's about it.

Suits Boonen not to ride the Tour I think.

I have a hunch Boonen might do quite well in the worlds, but we'll see. Sagan doesn't look like he's in the best of shape.

I still think Boonen would have beaten Cancellara had he not crashed this year.

Boonen can't go with the moves at M-SR.

He's more likely to arrive in contention at the finish but that's about it.

Suits Boonen not to ride the Tour I think.

I have a hunch Boonen might do quite well in the worlds, but we'll see. Sagan doesn't look like he's in the best of shape.

I still think Boonen would have beaten Cancellara had he not crashed this year.

Surely a guy that can win Flanders and get over the Muur etc would have a chance on the Poggio? Maybe not...

I think you're right about Boonen this year, he's been in super form and Cancellara hasn't looked his best (apart perhaps from his win at Strada Bianchi). I think that Boonen may even have beaten Cancellara at Roubaix in 2010 had he not been at the back of the group sipping coke when Cancellara attacked.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey

Surely a guy that can win Flanders and get over the Muur etc would have a chance on the Poggio? Maybe not...

Nah.

He's always hanging in for dear life on the Poggio.

• Surely a guy that can win Flanders and get over the Muur etc would have a chance on the Poggio? Maybe not...

Nah.

Flippin' Lightweight.

Ok, you've convinced me. Boonen should lead out Cav at MSR :wink:
  • rick_chasey

Nah.

Flippin' Lightweight.

Pfft.

Sod that.

I'll wait to see if Cav can reach the Poggio with the first big group again before we start writing Boonen off.

He's only done that once.

• Surely a guy that can win Flanders and get over the Muur etc would have a chance on the Poggio? Maybe not...

Nah.

Flippin' Lightweight.

Pfft.

Sod that.

I'll wait to see if Cav can reach the Poggio with the first big group again before we start writing Boonen off.

He's also won it more times than Boonen.
  • rick_chasey
    For sure, but Boonen's been on the podium more times too.
  • For sure, but Boonen's been on the podium more times too.

Podium Schmodium. Top step or no step.
  • ocdupalais

Nah.

Flippin' Lightweight.

Pfft.

Sod that.

He's also won it more times than Boonen.
    I get the impression that Cav has been seeking to move more and more into traditional Boonen territory (minus P-R), which is why him (possibly) turning up at OPQS is interesting: if he can keep the fat off over winter, he'll be going into many of the same races that Boonen and Chavanel will look to win. I can't see him getting any better service (than Sky) in terms of dedicated lead-out train until the GTs start rolling around (maybe Paris-Nice)...
  • rick_chasey
    I'd genuinely be a bit surprised if Boonen spent much time leading Cav out.

Maybe for the Scheldeprijs, but not for anything that matters.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    #burn
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

I'm still waiting for him to win Liege...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Poor old Tom.
    He's going to be Gilbert's lady-dog at the Worlds, next year he'll get dicked by a resurgent Cancellara in the Classics and then be part of Cav's lead out train for everything else (assuming the latter goes to OPQ)...
    What's he got to look forward to?

Rick's man crush reaching an all time high and an end of season coke fuelled orgy with some barely legal teens?
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

I'm waiting for Boonen to win RVV, PR and LBL all in one season
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

I'm waiting for Boonen to win RVV, PR and LBL all in one season

I thought Boonen was supposed to be winning the TdF? :wink: