Trek 6500
Cannondale Bad Boy
LOOK KG176
Giant TCR Composite 1

Comments

• thats just mad
  • It's better than Christian folk music
  • I visit his brother Bog quite a lot. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • I know Vladimir Karpets has a Welsh half-brother called Aled.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    My mate's surname is Keyhoe and his sister is called Trudi.
    There's a TV sound recordist called Mike Russell.

But about Kristian House: the guy's pure class (I see him in the mould of Sammy Sanchez: clever tactically, good at everything) - so why did he never do the Continental pro route? I can't imagine he was in the same category as some Brits I remember hearing about in the 80's & 90's who didn't fancy going abroad because they'd miss their mum's cooking.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    Does he have a dog, called Dog?
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    I guess he just enjoys being a big fish in a small pond. He's certainly good at it so fair play. The Continent isn't for everyone.

p.s. I think he was born Texas so he's out of 'mum's-cooking-range' whichever way you look at it.
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    he's a nice guy too. He came out on that rapha condor ride out of Henley a few months ago. I was chatting to Ed Clancy when the road went up a "hill". House was on the front of the group and Ed looked up and went "Oh god, its Kristian", which I thought was a nice tell!
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    The last 'Cycle Show' on ITV4 had a feature where the presenter went off to ride up the Stelvio with Kristian House - worth a watch... ("Whats your heart rate at Kristian? I'm at 174....". Response - "130" and a sly smile).

Had a very brief chat with him after stage 3 of ToB... Really nice guy :)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I wouldn't mess with him, his brother Brick Sh*t is built like a ...
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    OCDuPalais wrote:

But about Kristian House: the guy's pure class (I see him in the mould of Sammy Sanchez: clever tactically, good at everything) - so why did he never do the Continental pro route? I can't imagine he was in the same category as some Brits I remember hearing about in the 80's & 90's who didn't fancy going abroad because they'd miss their mum's cooking.

He's a nice guy and a very good rider by domestic pro standards, but lets not get carried away, if you are basing it on the KOM of this race. Pretty much uncontested by the big pro teams on the first 4 days as was the sprints competition. Just left for the British teams minus Sky and Endura to try to get some exposure... and its not as if he stood out when Endura were trying in the Premier Calendar.
    To his credit he spotted an opportunity and took it well, but there wasn't much competition.
  • ocdupalais
    pomtarr wrote:
    I guess he just enjoys being a big fish in a small pond. He's certainly good at it so fair play. The Continent isn't for everyone.

Each to their own, and all that... I'd be interested to hear his take on it. He can dominate a town centre crit either solo or in a group and he can compete with big team riders in hilly road races... so his talent is versatile... In terms of earning potential, I'd be surprised if a domestic pro (of any level) could compete with a solid team rider who can win a fair bit on, say, BMC or Rabobank?
    Perhaps he heard some of the shady stories of what has gone on in some of these bigger teams and thought " no thanks..."?
    lyn1 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

But about Kristian House: the guy's pure class (I see him in the mould of Sammy Sanchez: clever tactically, good at everything) - so why did he never do the Continental pro route?

He's a nice guy and a very good rider by domestic pro standards, but lets not get carried away, if you are basing it on the KOM of this race. Pretty much uncontested by the big pro teams on the first 4 days as was the sprints competition.

No.
    I'm not basing it on this Tour of Britain: I'm basing it on a guy who has been around for a long time competing with and beating serious opposition, including Wiggins & Froome and Cav, etc, to win Nat Champs on a tough Welsh circuit in 2009. I know he rode in Europe in early 00's... Just wonder if there was a switch in his head to dissuade him from pursuing that, or what...
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    mroli wrote:
    he's a nice guy too. He came out on that rapha condor ride out of Henley a few months ago. I was chatting to Ed Clancy when the road went up a "hill". House was on the front of the group and Ed looked up and went "Oh god, its Kristian", which I thought was a nice tell!

Oooh, you old name-dropper, you :D
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    dsoutar wrote:
    mroli wrote:

Oooh, you old name-dropper, you :D

He's a top man. He sat on the front of that Henley leisure ride and skilfully ensured that it wasn't turned into a 'Jonny Big Nutz I'm gonna thrash the pro's' ride. He's been an absolute credit to RCS over the years, and his mentoring of the U23's this year will stand them in good stead in the future.

Oh, and as a member of the Rapha Condor Club you do get to ride on some pretty special club runs !!! :wink:
    Riding & chatting with team pursuit World & Olympic champs,and British & Scottish road & crit champs is awesome. It 's certainly different to listening to your club's old duffer going on about his only 10 mile TT victory back in 1962 every week....
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    You've ridden a lot with Dave_1 then?
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    LL, is the first pic of KH at Grassmarket in Edinburgh for the Nocturne?
    I saw him in 2009 & he was a class above the other domestic riders as Millar & Meyer ripped the arms and legs off the other domestic riders. Kristian was immense that night to get 2nd. For that ride & for not beating Millar, he has my eternal respect...
  • Greggyr wrote:
    Oh, and as a member of the Rapha Condor Club you do get to ride on some pretty special club runs !!! :wink:
    Riding & chatting with team pursuit World & Olympic champs,and British & Scottish road & crit champs is awesome. It 's certainly different to listening to your club's old duffer going on about his only 10 mile TT victory back in 1962 every week....

Well, if we are name dropping, I rode down the La Planche des Belles Filles after the TdF stage this year along with Cadel Evans and Alexander Vinokourov amongst others. :roll:
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    pomtarr wrote:

Each to their own, and all that... I'd be interested to hear his take on it. He can dominate a town centre crit either solo or in a group and he can compete with big team riders in hilly road races... so his talent is versatile... In terms of earning potential, I'd be surprised if a domestic pro (of any level) could compete with a solid team rider who can win a fair bit on, say, BMC or Rabobank?
    Perhaps he heard some of the shady stories of what has gone on in some of these bigger teams and thought " no thanks..."?
    lyn1 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

But about Kristian House: the guy's pure class (I see him in the mould of Sammy Sanchez: clever tactically, good at everything) - so why did he never do the Continental pro route?

He's a nice guy and a very good rider by domestic pro standards, but lets not get carried away, if you are basing it on the KOM of this race. Pretty much uncontested by the big pro teams on the first 4 days as was the sprints competition.

No.
    I'm not basing it on this Tour of Britain: I'm basing it on a guy who has been around for a long time competing with and beating serious opposition, including Wiggins & Froome and Cav, etc, to win Nat Champs on a tough Welsh circuit in 2009. I know he rode in Europe in early 00's... Just wonder if there was a switch in his head to dissuade him from pursuing that, or what...
    He turned down an offer from Vacansoleil when he was national champion
  • Greggyr wrote:

Well, if we are name dropping, I rode down the La Planche des Belles Filles after the TdF stage this year along with Cadel Evans and Alexander Vinokourov amongst others. :roll:

Ha! small fry. Mrs Peril was at the opening of the local school library by Little Pete Kennaugh on Friday!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • lyn1 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Names please :D
  • ocdupalais
    lyn1 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Names please :D

The one that sticks in my mind was Paul Curran. Check out the '89 Tour of Britain - He was beating people like Jalabert, Robert Millar, Phil Anderson Sean Kelly in the hilly opening TT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agRLRYZE ... ata_player

Physically, he was like a climbing version of Cav: a totally un-athletic looking body that was totally astonishing at what it was capable of.

There were others: can't be arsed to remember them right now, mum says it's my turn to do the washing-up...
  • ocdupalais
    Btw, anyone else pick up on Declan Quigley's nice comment on ITV 4's ToB coverage about Kristian House now being the most successful cyclist coming out of Austin, Texas...?
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Btw, anyone else pick up on Declan Quigley's nice comment on ITV 4's ToB coverage about Kristian House now being the most successful cyclist coming out of Austin, Texas...?

Yeah - miaow !

btw, didn't manage to catch any tv coverage this week until Sunday. What happened to Hugh Porter ? I though he was commentating but certainly wasn't yesterday (thank god)
  • ocdupalais
    dsoutar wrote:
    What happened to Hugh Porter ? I though he was commentating but certainly wasn't yesterday (thank god)

I hoped they'd taken him off to the glue factory, turns out he left to "prepare" for the Worlds.

This is a scary thought, as in his case, this will mean practicing the pronunciation of non-existent words and names in a language that doesn't exist about a sport that bears no resemblance to what's being seen on our screens...
    Roll on Valkenburg...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    dsoutar wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Yeah - miaow !

btw, didn't manage to catch any tv coverage this week until Sunday. What happened to Hugh Porter ? I though he was commentating but certainly wasn't yesterday (thank god)

Sent off to the Worlds for his BBC day job on Friday - TV audiences increased hugely on Saturday and Sunday ;)

Hopefully that is true and ITV will see sense for the future having finally found a very good commentator - it's been said elsewhere how much better Hayles instantly became working alongside Declan.