Worst possible time for a puncture?

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Blasting down Scotswood Road, pushing 25mph ish, more importantly gaining on the guy in front. Then I hear the pst-pst-pst-pst of the puncture. I'd have had him by the Audi & Honda garage if I hadn't had to pull over. Bugger. So far not impressed by the Continental SportCONTACT, to many punctures. So looking for an alternative 1.4-1.6 with better puncture protection.

Thanks to all the folk who offered assistance.
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• Piloting a RIB (which turned ouT to be rather less rigid than claimed) through a coral reef in shark-infested waters. Managed to limp back to shore buT had me sweating more than most roadside inconveniences.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Just before climax
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    kelsen wrote:
    Just before climax

Presumably you keep a strip of the instant fix patches for this eventuality though?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    WTB Slickasaurus, 1.5" front has done 2,250 miles puncture free, rear did 2,000 miles with one puncture (long thin glass shard), they were bought used. Rear has been repaced with a panaracer RiBMo which I like as it has a v-shaped tread reducing rolling resistance and giving more rubber to wear out/protect from punctures in the crucial centre section.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rear has been repaced with a panaracer RiBMo which I like as it has a v-shaped tread reducing rolling resistance and giving more rubber to wear out/protect from punctures in the crucial centre section.

Or more rolling resistance and less rubber to wear out depending on how you look at it :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Rear has been repaced with a panaracer RiBMo which I like as it has a v-shaped tread reducing rolling resistance and giving more rubber to wear out/protect from punctures in the crucial centre section.

Fun in the ice and wet though....
  • kelsen wrote:
    Just before climax

:-)

How about, whilst late for the Coll to Oban Ferry on a Saturday Morning in winter?

Next boat Tuesday... (Mind you, there are worse places to be stuck for three days...)

Cheers,
    W.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Was descending the Aubisque and the guy in front had a rear tyre blow out.

I'd say that was pretty badly timed. Happened about 15m into braking for a hairpin.
  • up another one one the same stretch on the front. Mus be punishment for using puncture instead of a euphemism.

Thanks for the heads up on WTB Slicks, sound like a decent tyre as for ice etc I have kevlar lined and metal studded jobbies, and never had a puncture on them but they get a lot less use.

My worst puncture was up in the Cairngorms last month I decided up towards a remote Loch in the early hours, chain snapped on the way up, and no biggie apart from the midge attack. Heading back my bottle cage got shaken loose and fell off, and I couldn't find one of the screws so I chucked it in my bag and carried on. A few miles later, the I'm busting for a dump so I pick up the pace on a short rocky descent the pst-pst-pst of a flat tyre starts. Pinch flat think, and lay down the bike and go find a rock to empty my guts under. Bowels emptied I start going through the motions, remove the tyre, locate the the hole, snake bite as I thought. Then I look for my pump. It was attached at the same place as the bottle cage. Doh didn't even cross my mind to look for it when I picked up the bottle. By this point my s*it has roused and attracted every midges in the Glen, so many it was like being in fog I was literally inhaling parasites. So I decided there was sod all chance of finding my pump anyway so I had to walk back the five or so miles back to civilisation and more importantly a bike shop
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • up another one one the same stretch on the front. Mus be punishment for using puncture instead of a euphemism.

Thanks for the heads up on WTB Slicks, sound like a decent tyre as for ice etc I have kevlar lined and metal studded jobbies, and never had a puncture on them but they get a lot less use.

My worst puncture was up in the Cairngorms last month I decided up towards a remote Loch in the early hours, chain snapped on the way up, and no biggie apart from the midge attack. Heading back my bottle cage got shaken loose and fell off, and I couldn't find one of the screws so I chucked it in my bag and carried on. A few miles later, the I'm busting for a dump so I pick up the pace on a short rocky descent the pst-pst-pst of a flat tyre starts. Pinch flat think, and lay down the bike and go find a rock to empty my guts under. Bowels emptied I start going through the motions, remove the tyre, locate the the hole, snake bite as I thought. Then I look for my pump. It was attached at the same place as the bottle cage. Doh didn't even cross my mind to look for it when I picked up the bottle. By this point my s*it has roused and attracted every midges in the Glen, so many it was like being in fog I was literally inhaling parasites. So I decided there was sod all chance of finding my pump anyway so I had to walk back the five or so miles back to civilisation and more importantly a bike shop
    Townies, honestly.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Going down Limeburn Hill at 40mph, dead straight but with a right, left flick over a small bridge at the bottom. Seriously considered dumping it into the hedge. Luckily I kept it on the tarmac, just.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    When it's 30,000 feet and your name is Richard Branson?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I seem to remember Lewis Hamilton crashing in the pit lane whilst trying to win his first championship

And Nigel Mansell having a rear blowout at some insane speed.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i had a front tyre blow out years ago, going down the hill in Mortoe - Woolacombe

i was probably doing about 35 - 40mph when all of a sudden BOOM!

fecking scary, god knows how the bike stayed upright
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I got a flat front tyre about a third of the way down the Glandon. Fortunately I noticed the handling felt odd so had slowed down a bit before it went really flat round a hairpin - ended up in a field, some of those corners had vertical drop offs that would have been a lot worse :shock:

Although possibly worse was when I had a rear flat at the far end of Richmond Park - a good 10 miles from home. No cash, no phone, and it was just getting dark and starting to rain. That was a long walk in cleats and lycras, taught me a lesson though!
  • I'm busting for a dump so I pick up the pace on a short rocky descent the pst-pst-pst starts.

Yeah, I often get the pst-pst-pst sound when I'm bursting for a dump too. Sometimes it sounds more like a bugle player
    I had to walk back the five or so miles back to civilisation and more importantly a bike shop

I've managed to ride home from the wilderness by removing the tube and packing the tyre with grass. Not the most comfy ride but better than walking.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Worst possible time for a puncture - when your riding one of these bad boys

2055357501_1294186431522.jpg

that would ruin your day
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    Worst possible time for a puncture - when your riding one of these bad boys

2055357501_1294186431522.jpg

that would ruin your day
    Nah, would be worse riding the real thing and realising you'd had a puncture half way through.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Wouldn't fancy one on my way home from work at quarter to 1 in the morning
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.