Winter tights - How tight should a tight be?

grony
grony Posts: 75
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Getting ready for winter. Just received the bib tights I ordered from Wiggle, Gore full length jobs. I took the advice of many reviewers and ordered a size down, yet still they seem on the large side. The material bunches up around the knees, and I can move it around quite easily. Should they be tight fit?

Apologies if this has been done before but I find the search facility useless.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    IMHO they should be snug fitting in the legs with the straps slightly tight on the shoulders when standing (so that they are right when cycling). This is where everyone has a particular make that fits them and jumps in to recommend them.

I threw away some Endura tights last year as they were just too tight on my thighs and the knee section just was not where my knee was. Shouldn't have bought them really but at least I got a couple of winters wear out of them. I now wear Nike running tights (they have a thin aerated section behind the knees) over cycling bib shorts in the winter, works for me. I can see the attraction of leg warmers...once one has found the right make such that the fit suits them!
  • The problem (if it can be called that) with long tights/bib longs is that they work on the basis of everyone being te same physical dimensions but in fact, almost nobody is - a case of one size fits nobody.

I have some Giordana and they fit well around the body and thighs but because I have short legs, if I put the ankles in the right place, I too have them bunched around the knees. I am fairly sure that most peoples bib longs don't fit exactly in all places.

My wife took out the ankle zippers, took two inches off the leg and made me stirrups instead and they are prefect. Its just that for a lot of us, waist, body length and leg lengths are not a universally constant ratio and so sizes are a guess at best :)
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    The problem (if it can be called that) with long tights/bib longs is that they work on the basis of everyone being te same physical dimensions but in fact, almost nobody is - a case of one size fits nobody.

I have some Giordana and they fit well around the body and thighs but because I have short legs, if I put the ankles in the right place, I too have them bunched around the knees. I am fairly sure that most peoples bib longs don't fit exactly in all places.

My wife took out the ankle zippers, took two inches off the leg and made me stirrups instead and they are prefect. Its just that for a lot of us, waist, body length and leg lengths are not a universally constant ratio and so sizes are a guess at best :)

Need the legs to fit, buy 3/4s and not longs.... :wink:
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    The problem (if it can be called that) with long tights/bib longs is that they work on the basis of everyone being te same physical dimensions but in fact, almost nobody is - a case of one size fits nobody.

I have the same problem. Short legs are no joke, it's a killer finding the right bike as I need a 54cm top tube but ideally a sub-50 seat tube (to allow enough seat pillar on show for light, standover clearance, saddle pack, etc.)

Snug is it - I'd say you should need to 'pull' them on like, er, tights rather than 'put' them on like trousers??? Personally, whenever I put on my bibs, I have an uncontrollable urge to do Freddie Mercury impressions (think: Bohemian Rhapsody video, the 'rock' bit and Freddie's spandex bib outfit) :oops: . The worst thing is, I totally loathe Queen...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Camel toe tight
  • Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Need the legs to fit, buy 3/4s and not longs.... :wink:

No, I want longs that fit - I have temperature sensitive ankles :D

And thats what I have care of the Mrs :)
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Bozman wrote:
    Camel toe tight

But if you get a couple lumps on your throat they are too tight.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I ordered a pair of Funkier thermal bib tights from CRC, size medium. The lower half was nixe n snug, but was so tight around my anly chest the zip would stay done up. I got a size large and its better but chest is still too tight, so have now ordered XL. Great returns service from CRC though, doesn't cost a penny using CollectPlus.

I'm 5' 9", 33" waist with I reckon 38.5" hips (which is Funkier size medium), but my chest is 42" which necessitates an XL at least! Just hope the legs and bum are still snug enough.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Navrig wrote:
    Bozman wrote:
    Camel toe tight

But if you get a couple lumps on your throat they are too tight.

Agreed but the 'bishops ridge' should always be clearly visible.