Replacing budget bike (RR5.2) with newer budget bike

diamondbacker
diamondbacker Posts: 224
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to replace my older Rockrider 5.2 with a new bike of a similiar spec and price as some of the parts are becoming worn and I just fancy a change to be honest.

However when I bought my bike (think it was in 2008) I'm sure it was advertised as about 12.7kg. When I looked on the Decathlon site the newer version was about 14! Also, all the other bikes of a similiar spec seem to be around 14. Any ideas why the old bike is so much lighter.

Anyway, I'm quite happy having V brakes - in fact prefer them to mechanical disc brakes, 21 speed (prefer 24) but I'd like a 'granny' gear for the steep hills I seem to do on the C2C trip I do once a year (sometimes twice). A reasonable fork would be good too.

I can't seem to see past the Saracen Tufftrax (although fork travel seems a bit short and it lacks the Granny gear), Raleigh AT20 (bit heavy?), Rockrider 5.2 (again seems pretty heavy compared to my previous incarnation).

Anyway, which out of those 3, or are there any alternatives around the £250 mark?

Comments