Which headset?!

ali4390
ali4390 Posts: 106
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
After a bit of advice please...

I'd like to upgrade the headset on my 2011 Kraken and am currently torn between 2:

Superstar Intergrato Headset

(link won't work as I'm on my mobile)

or

FSA Orbit Headset

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?Mod...

I am leaning towards the FSA after seeing it on a friend's bike at the weekend, but will it fit my bike? I know the Superstar one will as I know of someone else that has already put it on, but get confused when I start reasing about different sizes etc.

Comments

• What's wrong with what you've got?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well that link dont work either.

so which Orbit?

and do you know what type of headset your frame takes?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ali4390
    My phone seriously hates links! It's the Orbit MX and my current headset is really loose and to be honest it's never been particularly great since I got the bike.

Not too sure on what type of headset the frame takes to be honest - how would you be able to tell the difference?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to work out why it is loose. A new headset may not cure the problem.

Steerer right length (with the stem spacers?). Adjusted correctly?
  • ali4390
    Ah okay, I'll have a look into those at the weekend. I was just going off the advice of a friend who helped service my bike (he is seriously into bikes and helps out at his local LBS), and he suggested a new headset was the solution!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it's a 'standard' 1 and 1/8th, I'd get the Orbit XL11. Should pick one up for £20 or so.
    If as SS points out, you need one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Whicj it does not. It is an internal/semi integreated headset. So any really if it really needs replacing. Or just swap the bearings out if possible. If not then tools are needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ali4390
    nicklouse wrote:
    Whicj it does not. It is an internal/semi integreated headset. So any really if it really needs replacing. Or just swap the bearings out if possible. If not then tools are needed.
    Which it does not? So would the FSA headset fit as well as the superstar intergrato headset?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need a internal/semi integrated/zerostack headset. The FSA orbit is not one, the Superstar is. But I do not think this is the problem, check other stuff first (bearings, adjustment, steerer length). See park tools for a guide.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Kraken as standard comes with a semi integrated as Nick says, the stock part is a semi cartridge so if its failed it's scrap.

I'd be surprised if it's failed they are usually bombproof, the one on my commuter came out of a 2006 Kraken frame that looked like it had been stored in a ditch for a year (fork stanchions rusted right through) and is still as smooth as silk.

Halfords do an FSA replacement for about £16.99 from memory (which went into that Kraken frame - see link in my sig).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.