Oops!

Syd_65
Syd_65 Posts: 21
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Well it had to happen, been feeling quite smug that I hadn't put a foot wrong (groan) since fitting clipless pedals, and really seem to have taken to them.
Out for a spin this afternoon, overshot my turning on a new route so pulled into a pub carpark to turn around. So far so good...car coming but 3 - 400m away in a 20mph zone so good to go, pull away, for some bizarre reason don't get clipped in on the left this time and start to faff, wobble and tip to the right (perfectly clipped). Bit of a scuff on the pedal, bit of a scuff on the elbow and a huge dent in the dignity :oops:
At least the car driver who by now has arrived and witnessed the comedy act asked if I was ok...

Comments

• It happens to everyone mate, and its bound to happen again too haha
    Specialized FSR XC Comp
    Scott Speedster S55
  • It's these sorts of posts that make me question my potential act of fitting in the SPD pedals and donning the new shoes that arrived in the post yesterday :lol:
  • It happens to everyone mate, and its bound to happen again too haha

Of that I seriously have no doubt! :lol:
  • doublem_1 wrote:
    It's these sorts of posts that make me question my potential act of fitting in the SPD pedals and donning the new shoes that arrived in the post yesterday :lol:

Don't take the original post too seriously, I've found the benefits far outweigh the (occasional) embarrassment! :lol:
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    When I`ve used clipless pedals I can honestly say that I didn`t really notice any significant benefits other than maybe on a bumpy road my foot obviously stayed glued to the pedal. I must be doing something wrong
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    It happens to everyone mate, and its bound to happen again too haha

Yep, after using my first set of clipless pedals for months I went out one day and stopped at a set of temporary traffic lights. It wasn't that I couldn't unclip in time but I just didn't even try for some reason, the 20 odd club members with me found it quite amusing!
  • My moment came on Sunday. Having been dropped out of the back of the club run I was helped back to it by another member. We realised we had taken a different route to the main bunch so we turned into a road that would get us back to them. Lo and behold there they were coming towards us. I unclipped my left foot but for some reason leaned right!
    So there I was laying in the road as they all came towards me :oops:

They said there were better ways of greeting them :-)
  • dugliss wrote:
    When I`ve used clipless pedals I can honestly say that I didn`t really notice any significant benefits other than maybe on a bumpy road my foot obviously stayed glued to the pedal. I must be doing something wrong

did you come from using straps or flat pedals?

the instant difference from flats is that you can pull the pedal as well as push which i found is a big help.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    all part of lifes wonderful pageant ... amusing tales to tell our kids x
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    dugliss wrote:

did you come from using straps or flat pedals?

the instant difference from flats is that you can pull the pedal as well as push which i found is a big help.

I`ve only ever used flats before. I`ve got some pedals that have flat one side and spd on the other but find that I barely ever bother clipping in as I feel safer riding in traffic being on the flats
  • maybe try a change in technique to notice the difference then. when clipped in you can pull on one pedal while pushing on the other, it feels strange at first but made a difference for me.
  • LOL - everyone does it - it's like an initiation into the cycling world. :D
    It's been a while...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And for some it happens more than others ...

I clip out in traffic or approaching busy areas