Wet weather crash

Too Fast
Too Fast Posts: 17
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I have been riding for 6 weeks now on a Boardman Race Comp covering 100 miles a week. A couple of weeks ago I rode in my 1st wet ride. I'd ridden in the damp before or when i've been out it has started to rain but this time it was raining before I went out and stayed on. The 1st corner I came to I had a heavy fall! The bike just went from under me and being clipped in I couldn't put a foot down to stop it. There was no warning, no white line, drain cover, oil or puddles, just a wet road. Naturally this has shaken my confidence of riding in the wet and cost me a fortune as it badly tore my jacket and overshoes. I've since changed my tyres to vredestein fortezza quattro tricomps on the advice of my LBS. I've replaced my kit but am not looking forward to my next wet ride. Any advice?

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    You need to determine the reason for the crash, you must have exceeded the grip envelope of the front tyre, this could mean you asked too much of the available lateral or braking grip, or a combination of the two.
  • Check your brakes in advance of needing to stop

Slow down using ^ working brakes

Avoid painted lines and "personhole" covers (pc bridage can FO :) )

Rainbow coloured water is BAD(especially on roundabouts)

Get back out there again.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Do all your breaking in a straight line. Don't brake while your turning/leaning.

If you do need to break during the corner then only use your back brake.

Don't forget in the rain your breaks won't work as good and it takes a couple of wheel revolutions to get rid of the water on the rim.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Braking in the bend?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I came off last year in the wet, both wheels at once on diesel in the rain and i still haven't got my confidence back in the wet, I'd previously had a close call with new tyres in the wet so that probably added to the problem. Nearly twenty years cycling without an issue and now i'm tip toeing in the wet.
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    edited September 2012
    Lots of good advice here. Also you need to corner slower in the wet don't lean as much as when it's dry. As has been said get all your braking done before the bend never use the front brake in the bend in the wet the front wheel will wash out.

Tip toeing in the wet is good advice. I had years of Motorcyling cornering is vastly different in the wet and speeds and leaning are slower and less, it's the only way of staying upright until you hit oil or ice then it all goes tits up!
  • Lots of good advice here. Also you need to corner slower in the wet don't lean as much as when it's dry. As has been said get all your braking done before the bend never use the front brake in the bend in the wet the front wheel will wash out.

Tip toeing in the wet is good advice. I had years of Motorcyling corning is vastly different in the wet and speeds and leaning are slower and less, it's the only way of staying upright until you hit oil or ice then it all goes tits up!
    I usually ran out of balls long before the tyres (I swore by Metzelers) would have given out :lol:

Also Michelin MC10's on the enduro bike were "fun" in the dry!
  • Thanks guys. I must be the only person who is desperate for rain. I think I need time on the bike to get my confidence back. I appreciate the advice!
  • The tyres is a key factor the compound of your new tyres will be far far better than the ones that were standard. I found a similar problem didn't quite crash but they felt unsafe in the wet so i upgraded to Gatorskins and noticed a big difference.