Am i to old???

Super Gibo
Super Gibo Posts: 10
edited September 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi guy's,

This is my first posting on here, so apologies if this sort of thing has been spoken about before.

I've been really interested in watching the likes of Danny McCaskill doing there riding, and love what they do. i turned 40 this year, and basically want to know if anyone thinks that's to old to want to have a go at that style of riding.

I've got a good level of fitness as i run a lot, and also cycle to work 3 times a week, which is about a 28 mile round trip each day. i love cycling, and used to love BMX when i was a lot younger, and fancy getting back to that sort of thing.

Will i look like a sad old git just trying to be young, or should i go for it.

What do you think??

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just remember we dont bounce quite as well and getting up takes longer.

go for it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fair point, but i guess that's all part of the fun isn't it :)

Any advise on a good bike to start with would be good as well.

Cheers.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    You'll never know if you don't try...
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Go for it.

Life is too short to worry about what people might think or whether or not you'll look like a prat. Better to give it a go and see for yourself than spend a lifetime wondering.....
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • I am 40 and still ride a bmx.
    But as someone pointed out, when I take a fall now, I'm off the bike for a week.
    When I was 18, I wouldn't need any time off the bike at all.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • You will be fine. Some of the downhill racers I ride with are older than you and can take pretty hard crashes.
    Broken bones take longer to heal and you can expect more muscle strains.
    Personally I can accept the occasional injury as long as I'm having fun when I get injured!
  • I think that any sport or hobby that encourages you to get out and about is a good thing. I see and talk to people of all ages at trail centres and age never really enters my mind. I'm mainly glad they are out there enjoying the riding as much as I am.

Trail centres and natural trails are there to be enjoyed so pick a bike that feels good and go for it. If I was a kid and my dad (sorry to use this term) did mtb I would think he was either mad or cool. Either way it's a good thing. You're creating memories that no one can take away.

The main thing to remember is that it's not all about the speed, make sure you get down the trail without falling off and the speed (if that's something you think you need) will come.

The great thing is that there are plenty of forms of mtb to suit your abilities or body type from fantastic natural trail riding to dedicated trail centres with levels of riding to suit whatever you can handle. Not to mention that a lot of mountains are rideable, but check for route guides before attempting any mountain as some (like snowdon) have verbal bans through some months). Natural trail riding is great (make sure you adhere to rights of way and bla, bla) means that you can often explore an area you might never have thought to.

There are loads of websites with routes and the popular mtb mags often have natural trail routes. Don't forget to talk to your local bike shop to get ride location ideas. A lot will often know of good riding and be able to pick a ride suited to your confidence level.

Bike? Depends on budget really. A good cross country full suspension bike would be something like a Giant Trance, but you really need to test ride a few to get a feel for them as each one will feel different. Take a look at websites from the big brands like Trek, Specialized and Giant to get a rough idea of what's out there, but there are loads of other manufacturers to suit your budget. Don't discount halfords bikes because although heavy most are pretty solid runners.
  • Super Gibo wrote:
    Am i to old???
    Hell no! :D
  • I love that you guy's are all so enthusiastic about it all, that makes me want to do it all the more.

I ride a carrera subway 2 at the moment that my wife got me for my birthday, and to be honest, i've been really enjoying teh rides to work, except when it's wet and windy, but i'm getting used to that...kinda :)

I was looking at the VooDoo Shango Dirt Jump Bike in Halfords as a staring point, has anyone else got any ideas on a good starer bike for this sort of thing.

Thanks again guy's for your words...you all rock :)
  • Mtaylor2012
    Mtaylor2012 Posts: 44
    edited September 2012
    Do you have a set budget in mind for what your willing to spend? And what style is it your looking at doing?

The voodoo range is pretty good value for money, and the majority of the time you wont beat it. Are you happy with rigid forks?
    2013 Cube Analog
    2011 GT aggressor - For sale
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Do you have a set budget in mind for what your willing to spend? And is it just D/H your looking at doing?

The voodoo range is pretty good value for money, and the majority of the time you wont beat it. Are you happy with rigid forks?
    the OP is not looking to do any DH.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Do you have a set budget in mind for what your willing to spend? And what style is it your looking at doing?

To be honest i hadn't really thought to much about budget. i don't want to go mad on it, but i guess up to about £350.00 would be OK, maybe a tad more.
    As for the rigid forks, i just thought that would probably be the right thing for the job, but not to sure, as i said before, i'm open to suggestions :)
  • Where abouts are you based? My friends is selling a jump bike for around your budget. Based near Manchester
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • miss notax wrote:
    Go for it.

Life is too short to worry about what people might think or whether or not you'll look like a prat. Better to give it a go and see for yourself than spend a lifetime wondering.....

This. I am 36 and haven't ridden a bike for years but I enjoy keeping fit so thought I would have a go at mountain biking. I absolutely love it. Even though I am very much a beginner I like a challenge and when I enjoy doing something that makes me feel good I really couldn't care less what anyone else thinks :D
  • Im 41 - started riding 10 years ago ride xc/trail & DH - definitely feel the hits more but to be honest if you are fit, have good core strength you should be good - knee and elbow pads, good lid and a half decent bike and you cant try whatever you like!

Do you already ride mountain bikes, have some trail skills? If not then learning to do trials style stuff ala danny mac might be hard work and a long slow road but still its always worth going for it!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I only started again (after an 18yr gap) last season. Gonna be 38 in a couple of months. Have gone from 1 to 3 bikes in that time and loving every minute of it! Did a 1,200m vert. ascent yesterday to 2,450m alt. and ripped the singletrack all the way back down. F.ing awesome!

So go for it! :D

On the bike front - CRC have got some good deals on jump bikes;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Offers.aspx?Offer=2&CategoryIDs=2145

Also - there's plenty of used jump bikes in the Pinkbike classifieds for that kinda price. Personally - I'd look there and eBay etc
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ali4390
    ali4390 Posts: 106
    I go riding with my best mate and his Dad who recently got into it - he is 50! He has just built a gorgeous looking Commencal Meta 5.5 and normally leads the way down the tracks and up the hills. He goes on rides around the local natural trails 3 or 4 times a week and is absolutely loving it.

So no, you're definitely not too old!
  • my dad is 70 and still goes out on his bike!! he slowed down a lot but he is still keen!!

couple of years ago he knocked himself out on a branch when out on his own! I do worry but not as much as I love and respect his stoke for life.

your never too old for anything :)
  • grl
    grl Posts: 65
    You're never too old, the only thing to remember is that the oldr you get, longer it takes to recover when you bounce off the ground.

That said, have a go, build yourself up slow and watch what other people do.

Let us know how you get on

Giles
    Cube AMS 110 Pro
    Spesh Rockhopper Comp
    Bianchi Nirone 7
    Spesh Sirrus Comp
    Dahon D7 Speed (for sale, PM if you woudl like to buy - a bargain!)
  • I think it's time to bite the bullet and give it a go. this weekend is toy shopping for me :)) my wife will be pleased :wink:

Thanks all for your comments, it has helped to make my mind up. like they say, you only live once, so why not, just have to take it slow at first :)
  • I'm 39 and this guy cycled past me uphill yesterday in Tollymore NI on a nice full suspension Giant

He looked about 65, made me feel about 95. For what its worth i still feel like I did when i was 20, train twice a week, ride the bike as much as possible but i think my secret comes from drinking my brains out every Fri night :P