What tires to buy

Scion1
Scion1 Posts: 27
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi my bontrager jones tires are almost gone and I'm looking to replace them with something that can stand up to rough trails, mud and a bit of road riding. I've not bought any tires for a long time so does anyone have any advice on which are best. I'm in the uk so the weather and climate may be a factor.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    TBH you not going to get a tyre that does 'mud' and 'road' together. What is most important?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Well offroad is more important but it takes around 25 minutes of road riding to get to the offroad areas I ride on. I would be nice if I could find a tire with plenty of grip offroad that wasn't terrible at rolling on the road. I know that's asking a lot. I don't mind spending a bit more on a more expensive pair. I'm not set up for tubeless and I don't know much about them.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    Nobby Nics will do the trick in my opinion, but be prepared to replace them relatively regularly if you're doing a lot of road miles.......

You'll find there'll be a lot of contridicting suggestions on here as everyone has their own personal preferences
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Tyres are such a subjective thing. I've been running a WTB Moto 2.3 up front with a Weirwolf 2.3 out back all season. My rides generally involve about 15-20 minutes of tarmac each way before I hit the trails.

So far have done about 1000 miles on this set and will need to change the rear pretty soon.

VERY fast rolling, not superlight but not bad, and have been run tubeless, totally problem-free.

:D
  • I've gone with bontrager xr4 team issues. 2.20. I've only been out once so far due to injury and that was on thick mud so ive not got a good idea how they perform.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Interesting choice, seeing as Bontrager market that as a tyre for rough, rocky, loose trails.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Scion1
    Scion1 Posts: 27
    After lots of thought I went with the xr4 because it seemed to go with the kind of trails and riding I do. Also I've used 5 or 6 makes of tyre and it was my old bontrager tyres that performed best and lasted well.