Stem length - XC riding

muzzle1
muzzle1 Posts: 21
edited September 2012 in MTB general
I have a 2011 Cube Acid hardtail with 120mm (I think) Easton stem. I ride XC in the Peaks, so lots of rocky descents and ascents, often pretty steep. I've been told that my descents would be better controlled by fitting a shorter stem (more responsive steering, easier to get weight over the back wheel etc) but there would be a bit of a trade-off in terms of making the uphills harder. How much impact does a shorter stem really have on the handling of the bike? Does 120mm strike anybody as a bit too long for the sort of riding I've described?

What stem lengths do you lot use for this type of riding? Ta for any advice.

Comments

• I like short stems. I find they give you a more connected feel to the bike, and they make the whole riding experience less twitchy. I am an XC Racer, and regular XC rider. I use a 70mm -6 degree stem on a 29er, I find it works very well. I've gone up to a 100mm once and I found it made it too twitchy.

Climbing requires a lower position to be affective. A shorter stem will cause you to be a bit higher (less stretched out), but you could solve this by getting a negative rise stem. It's also a case of fit, if you need the 120mm to have the correct position on the bike then not much else will do. I buy my bikes a bit big so I can run short stems. It's preference more than anything. If I where you I'd buy a shorter stem, perhaps a 90mm -6 degree, then see how that goes?
  • I found 80-90mm is perfect for me on XC rides. Long enough to be efficient, but still short enough to have enough feel, and not be too twitchy.

120mm is certainly a bit long, but 100mm is the norm for XC up until now, so I wouldn't worry too much. It also depends on the geometry of the bike as well.