SPD SL Shoes for MTB...

junglist_matty
junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
If I use my Shimano road SPD-SL shoes on my MTB, what are the disadavantages?

Currently I've got some DMR V8's on the MTB but I'm doing Dusk'till'dawn (4 man team) next month and don't really have any trainers suitable for the V8 pedals and don't want to fork out for some new trainers I will only use for MTB'ing (on the rare occasion I get to use the MTB).... Also I don't want to fork out £100 for a pair of SPD shoes/pedals I'll only use a couple of times a year.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will crash and burn. and slip and slid all over the place.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    More faff to clip in being as they're single sided, much harder to walk, shouldn't be an issue at Thetford, but if it's another wet D2D who knows... In similar vain they won't shed mud as well, although Thetford tends not to be too claggy.

Not the end of the world though, I've used my Keos around the Surrey Hills a couple of times.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    you will crash and burn. and slip and slid all over the place.

This is what I thought ;)
    Although as it's in Thetford so it's flat, there aren't slippery rocks, mud isn't much of a problem as its mostly sandy ground. I thought so long as it was dry the road shoes would probably be ok right? I don't plan on getting off and pushing at any point
  • njee20 wrote:
    More faff to clip in being as they're single sided, much harder to walk, shouldn't be an issue at Thetford, but if it's another wet D2D who knows... In similar vain they won't shed mud as well, although Thetford tends not to be too claggy.

Not the end of the world though, I've used my Keos around the Surrey Hills a couple of times.

Indeed, last year was a nightmare; hopefully this year will be dry (or at least drier).

I have a few pairs of trainers, but none have much grip so they don't work with the V8 pedals, in the wet my feet just slide off the pedals so they'd be no better than my road shoes
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It'll be fine, even in the wet as long as you can MTFU a bit there's no reason to walk around Thetford, or... just go home, because it's miserable.