Finally completed my first half century!

OwenB
OwenB Posts: 606
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I've been cycling a couple of years again after a long break of 20 years away and though I enjoy it I often find it hard to make time to get out on long runs, so I ride to work (20 mile round trip) 3 times a week and try and grab 20 miles every other weekend when I don't have my kids to stay.
I did get a bit fitter earlier in the year and planned a tough 50 mile trip in April but never got round to it unfortunately, well yesterday I completed a local charity ride and finally broke my 50 mile duck!
http://www.brytonsport.com/mapTrackView/2?id=1232079
Was happy with the time I posted, but just to finish was an achievement to me at 280lbs. The last ten miles was a bit of a struggle as I was getting a lot of cramp in my quads and had to keep getting off to stretch out, I took two bottles of Zero as well so I'm not sure why I cramped up so much, legs feel fine today though so I'm happy :)

Comments

• excellent - well done - my first 50 saw me cramping near the end - its gets easier - now pencil in that 100miler - you know you want to. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    excellent - well done - my first 50 saw me cramping near the end - its gets easier - now pencil in that 100miler - you know you want to. :D

Well the Fred Whitton is a local "big" ride!! I'm a long way off that kind of ride though, think I need to try and ride the 50 mile distance a little more regularly.