Real Time Ride Tracking App

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
I thought it was called TrackMyRide but I'm not sure - I'm looking for an app that allows others to follow your progress in "Real Time" and, IIRC, allows them to send messages of encouragement.

Ideas?

Ta!
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I think people can follow you riding with edmondo? And apparently send messages to you that are read out if you are using earphones.
  • iPete wrote:
    I think people can follow you riding with edmondo? And apparently send messages to you that are read out if you are using earphones.

Yup endomondo pro allows this.

We tend to send abusive messages across to each other. My mate was struggling home one time and my repeated insults cheered him up enough to get him to forget the pain. :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cool - thanks folks. As a group from work we're doing a 180 mile ride from Inverness to Livingstone (Nr Edinburgh) in a day for charity. It might seem reasonably challenging in itself but someone thoughtlessly left the Cairngorms in our way and our route takes us past not one but two ski centres. 12 of us will share the ride (mostly doing 80-90 miles each) with two of the group (not me :oops: ) doing the full 180 miles. We figure it would be nice for the folks in the rest of the company to be able to track our progress (or lack of it :wink: )
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Latitude on google maps allows you to share your location.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Cool - thanks folks. As a group from work we're doing a 180 mile ride from Inverness to Livingstone (Nr Edinburgh) in a day for charity. It might seem reasonably challenging in itself but someone thoughtlessly left the Cairngorms in our way and our route takes us past not one but two ski centres. 12 of us will share the ride (mostly doing 80-90 miles each) with two of the group (not me :oops: ) doing the full 180 miles. We figure it would be nice for the folks in the rest of the company to be able to track our progress (or lack of it :wink: )

Good grief! Why would anyone want to go *to* Livingston? :shock:
  • Check you battery life on your phone. I've done 100K rides over an afternoon (5 hours ish) and the battery on my Sensation (admittedly an upgraded one) was down to 60%
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Check you battery life on your phone. I've done 100K rides over an afternoon (5 hours ish) and the battery on my Sensation (admittedly an upgraded one) was down to 60%

Thanks - it may be that we run the phone from the support car. TBH phone signal is probably going to be a challenge.
  • Good grief! Why would anyone want to go *to* Livingston? :shock:

It IS for charity - there has to be some hardship, suffering and sacrifice involved... :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You don't need reception if it uses the GPS on your phone.

Find friends on iPhone is pretty good, but isnt a training app. You just see a blob moving around. You need iOS5 for it to work, too
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Mapmyride is another candidate....
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Mapmyride is another candidate....
  • coriordan wrote:

Find friends on iPhone is pretty good, but isnt a training app. You just see a blob moving around. You need iOS5 for it to work, too

but I do need reception to let people know where we are...
  • coriordan wrote:

but I do need reception to let people know where we are...

If you are using Endomondo they can track you on the map itself. They just need to be your friends on the app.

If you stop and take a pee, someone could quite easily send you a pep talk (live talk) asking if you're stopping for a pee.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X

• If you are using Endomondo they can track you on the map itself. They just need to be your friends on the app.

If you stop and take a pee, someone could quite easily send you a pep talk (live talk) asking if you're stopping for a pee.

There'll be several thousand folk possibly tracking us. Stopping for a pee? None of that rubbish :lol: