Are these as crap as they look?

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Had a Virtuoso for 2 weeks and decided the pedals are rubbish & not being able get my feet into those toeclips when moving away from traffic lights has provided many motorists with a cheap laugh. So I was thinking about getting dual purpose pedals so I can use clipless when I feel like it, and platforms whenever. However would it be simpler to just get a cheap £20 set of clipless pedals from Decathlon and some of these clip on platforms?

big_800PX_397854a.jpg

They look pretty bad to be honest. Has anyone tried them on a road bike?

Comments

• NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Just by a decent set of pedals and clipin. Go for the TIME I-Clic pedals if you an. They clip in for you, so you dont have to.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I think you normally get those plastic things free with some shimano SPD pedals. Think it's a legal think to the have the reflectors.

Might be wrong. As above just get some proper pedals, you'll get used to it.
  • NITR8s wrote:
    Just by a decent set of pedals and clipin. Go for the TIME I-Clic pedals if you an. They clip in for you, so you dont have to.

....so are they dual purpose or what?
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    I think you normally get those plastic things free with some shimano SPD pedals. Think it's a legal think to the have the reflectors.

But I can't really ride "proper" pedals with normal shoes can I?
  • actually if you ride in traineys they grip really well.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    Had a Virtuoso for 2 weeks and decided the pedals are rubbish & not being able get my feet into those toeclips when moving away from traffic lights has provided many motorists with a cheap laugh. So I was thinking about getting dual purpose pedals so I can use clipless when I feel like it, and platforms whenever. However would it be simpler to just get a cheap £20 set of clipless pedals from Decathlon and some of these clip on platforms?

big_800PX_397854a.jpg

They look pretty bad to be honest. Has anyone tried them on a road bike?
    Having the SPD pedals gives you the option of the clipon flat or recessed MTB shoes with SPD cleats. MTB shoes tend to look quite casual anyway so you can clip in or ride flats in a pair. + you can walk normally opposed to SPDSL road cleat systems.

Which is best of all worlds there.
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Tis a RTA Lighting requirement. Although I know of zero brands of SPDSL cleat makers who offer such reflectors. It's not a major go to jail thing, but it may well prove crucial in the event of an incident/claim.
  • petemadoc
    Bustacapp wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Well if you buy some shimano SPD pedals such as

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520 ... dals-Black

You will probably get those reflector thingies with them creating a dual purpose pedal... sorted
  • PeteMadoc wrote:

They came with a set of m520's that I ordered for the mtb and tbh they are pretty good. I left them on orignally so i could get used to using spd's for the first time but have yet to remove them.

I find spd very easy to clip into, a lot easier than spd-sl but the spd-sl seem (to me anyway) more comfortable for long distances.
  • Tis a RTA Lighting requirement. Although I know of zero brands of SPDSL cleat makers who offer such reflectors. It's not a major go to jail thing, but it may well prove crucial in the event of an incident/claim.

'According to the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (amended in 1994, 1996, 2001, 2005, again in 2005 and 2009), all bicycle pedals must be fitted with reflectors (two on each pedal), but only when being ridden on a public road between sunset and sunrise. Fitting such reflectors is now an impossibility with many ‘clipless’ pedals. While this part of the RVLR is seldom enforced, if you are involved in a night-time accident however, any slight illegality with respect to your lights or reflectors may be regarded as contributory negligence.'

http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-artic ... d-the-law/
  • petemadoc
    edited September 2012
    I can just see it in court. Drink driver gets off because the cyclist didn't have pedal reflectors even though the cyclist was lit up like blackpool tower :roll:
  • As others have said I'm pretty sure those platforms are sold to meet regualtions re. reflectors (and it also means people can buy a bike in shop and ride it home in normnal shoes). They have a fairly temporary feel to them.

Why not just buy pedals with spd on one side and flat on t'other?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-co ... on-pedals/
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bustacapp wrote:

Pretty much - you just get MTB pedals with MTB shoes which are pretty much like trainers. Stiffer soles so not ideal for a long hike but for getting round off the bike they are fine.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Shimano do some called the M524 or something, they are mountain bike stylee double sided pedals that can be used with regular shoes or cleats, I've got some and though they look awful, they work ok

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Shimano also does a road-style version, the A530:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... HIMPEDA732
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-a530-sp ... ng-pedals/

They work well as flats, but you have to get used to flipping them over to the correct side when taking off (they tend to gravitate to cleat side up).
  • RDW wrote:
    Shimano also does a road-style version, the A530They work well as flats, but you have to get used to flipping them over to the correct side when taking off (they tend to gravitate to cleat side up).

Yes I've been looking at those, they do some on bike-discount.de for £28 so was wondering how much they'd charge for shipping. The only thing that puts me off is as you mentioned having to 'flip' it every time. Kind of reminds me of the peskt toeclips I have now (but I'm sure not as infuriating).

The only reason I ask about the covers in the pic I posted is that the 520's are so cheap (£18).

thanks to everyone for the suggestions anyway.
  • never had that issue, if they are in the wrong place then half a rotation of the crank has the pedal facing the right way up. no need to flip them
  • Tis a RTA Lighting requirement. Although I know of zero brands of SPDSL cleat makers who offer such reflectors. It's not a major go to jail thing, but it may well prove crucial in the event of an incident/claim.

'According to the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (amended in 1994, 1996, 2001, 2005, again in 2005 and 2009), all bicycle pedals must be fitted with reflectors (two on each pedal), but only when being ridden on a public road between sunset and sunrise. Fitting such reflectors is now an impossibility with many ‘clipless’ pedals. While this part of the RVLR is seldom enforced, if you are involved in a night-time accident however, any slight illegality with respect to your lights or reflectors may be regarded as contributory negligence.'

Well just in case anyone wants to risk riding after sunset without the appropriate lighting and reflectors the maximum penalty via an appearance at the Magistrates Court is £1,000.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Well if you buy some shimano SPD pedals such as

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520 ... dals-Black

You will probably get those reflector thingies with them creating a dual purpose pedal... sorted

I bought these pedals a couple of weeks ago - no such reflectors in them, bought from evans.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The adaptors are made from a pretty soft plastic - if you plan to take them on and off you need to do it carefully with a screwdriver to prise open the pedal 'jaws' otherwise you'll soon mangle the plastic. If you want something that lasts, suggest you get something designed for the purpose.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    I thought these were not for general sale, but to assist bike shops offer test rides to people in trainers without having to kit them out in cycling shoes? I.e they are not a long term solution.
  • RDW wrote:
    Shimano also does a road-style version, the A530:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... HIMPEDA732

just ordered these. they are a decent price!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Tis a RTA Lighting requirement. Although I know of zero brands of SPDSL cleat makers who offer such reflectors. It's not a major go to jail thing, but it may well prove crucial in the event of an incident/claim.

Well just in case anyone wants to risk riding after sunset without the appropriate lighting and reflectors the maximum penalty via an appearance at the Magistrates Court is £1,000.

Never happen. If you go out at night without lights then £1,000 fine is the least of your worries.
  • Clips take some getting used to but so do spds, and they certainly aren't 'rubbish'. No use writing something off before you've had sufficient time to learn how to use it. :)

You won't get into clipless pedals instantly either. Stick with your clips until flipping them becomes second nature (why can't you pedal on the other side if you don't manage first time?), and then upgrade to clipless. If at that point you must have a pedal that doubles as a plain platform, there are better options.
  • DavidJB wrote:

Never happen. If you go out at night without lights then £1,000 fine is the least of your worries.

If people wanna risk it it is their choice of course. I have never known of the police being interested in imposing fixed penalties or prosecuting for no lights. But, I wouldnt put it past them.
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    I've got a pair of these on my commuter/folding bike and they take stock pedal reflectors in the front and back:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-co ... on-pedals/