Back wheel not central between seat stays

pilsburypie
pilsburypie Posts: 891
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
As the title says - on my hardtail, if I ensure the back wheel sits properly in its place in the rear dropout it is not central between the seat stays when looking from the back. Should I ignore this or position the back wheel slightly off in the dropout so it is central between the seat stays?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No, make sure the axles are fitted properly into the dropouts. Something else must be wrong - bent frame, wheel out of dish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Probably out of dish. Wheels tend to stray towards the disc side overtime.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As the title says - on my hardtail, if I ensure the back wheel sits properly in its place in the rear dropout it is not central between the seat stays when looking from the back. Should I ignore this or position the back wheel slightly off in the dropout so it is central between the seat stays?
    new wheel? new to you wheel? old wheel?

what bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    new wheel? new to you wheel? old wheel?

what bike?

Cannondale F1 - lefty
    Old original wheel - came with bike from new and been on since.
    Mavic 317 I think.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Probably out of dish. Wheels tend to stray towards the disc side overtime.
    Yes It does lean towards the disc side.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is it out at the seat and chain stays? This will show if the wheel is leaning, or out of dish.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the disc still central in the calliper and the calliper roughly centrally mounted?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.