POLL: Help set me a Challenge!!

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,117
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
A friend of mine has started a challenge to run 1,000 miles in a year - he's an ex-cyclist who's done LEJOG and has gone over to the dark side :twisted:

Anyway, I need a similar style challenge, bearing in mind the following parameters:
- I'm 43
- fat (14.5 stone yet only 5'9" :oops: )
- wife and 7 year old twins to take into account
- maximum mileage ever was 75 miles in a day
- have own, wildly unsuccessful consultancy firm (am looking for full time job) but currently based at home
- I have no ride buddies :(

My mate reckons 7 days @ 100 miles per day would be a good challenge - what do the assembled masses think????

EDIT: now with added poll

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Are you after a short or long challenge ...

700 miles in 7 days is doable and whilst it will take a while to prep there is just 7 days of maximum disruption ..
    doing say 7k miles in a year is also doable (20 per day) - but will be disruptive over a longer period.

I targeted 2k miles for this year as I did 1k last year ... I've blown that out of the water having achieved the distance at the beginning of the month - mostly because I did some training for a long distance (for me) sportive at the beginning of the year and subsequently ridden in to work as much as possible .. but i'm not based at home!
  • secretsam
    I'm after a challenge that ultimately doesn't involve taking weeks off to cycle the Andes, doesn't cost too much and can be trained for by a mere mortal

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    SecretSam wrote:
    I'm after a challenge that ultimately doesn't involve taking weeks off to cycle the Andes, doesn't cost too much and can be trained for by a mere mortal
    A 2 or 300km audax? Easily doable by a mere mortal if you've got 1 day a week to build up your mileage. If you do it in summer you've got a year to prepare and could complete it during daylight hours. It's cheap as chips and, if you pick the right one, the organiser might even supply the chips.

FWIW, I'm aiming for a 300 next year.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • secretsam
    I'm bumping this in the hope of someone saving me from the logistical challenge of 7 different 100 mile rides

• Why not plan a trip to the Alps/Pyrenees for next summer and then train for that. I went to the Pyrenees with some friends this year, and having a goal like that certainly makes winter training more bearable... you know that if you don't put the miles in then the mountains are gonna kick your arse. Also tackling cols like the Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden etc is far more rewarding than bimbling around on British roads. Especially if you get lucky with the weather.
  • Why not try for 7 x 100 mile rides in seven days but do it as part of a bigger loop around Britain. This would make it more interesting than doing seven big loops in the area that you live (unless you live in the Alps? :) ). This probably wouldnt cost the earth as you could stay at B&Bs and you wouldnt need a ton of supplies to be carried on the bike
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    http://www.londonedinburghlondon.com/ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

7 * 100 mile days is a good, hard, challenge - though logistically tough as you are effectively touring, so need to carry you stuff etc.

I'd say look at a 300km audax. Totally doable. It's a LONG day in the saddle (you'll have 20 hours to complete). Do a 200 (or two) to build up to it.

A 200km is a a good challenge (and I can point you in the direction of 200s which are a challenge for ANY rider)- but I don't think it stretches you enough - you've ridden 75 miles in a day before - I don't think 120ish is enough of a challenge - aim big! 300km is 180miles (ish) and is a great challenge.

Put the miles in, get comfy on the bike and you'd be in good shape to tackle a 300 next summer.
  • Paris-Brest-Paris?
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    25/50 mile TT at average speed of.........?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • secretsam
    simona75 wrote:
    Why not try for 7 x 100 mile rides in seven days but do it as part of a bigger loop around Britain. This would make it more interesting than doing seven big loops in the area that you live (unless you live in the Alps? :) ). This probably wouldnt cost the earth as you could stay at B&Bs and you wouldnt need a ton of supplies to be carried on the bike

Funnily enough, have thought about this, stopping at friends' houses on the way

• secretsam
    Well, following the review in C+, I might do this - the Coast to Coast in a day ( :shock: )

http://www.opencycling.com/coast-to-coast-in-a-day/

I must be f'kin' mad :roll: