Why can't the bike industry operate like others?

2»

Comments

• Have we as a species lost the ability to enjoy what we have right now, or something?

We never had it. Or at least, marketing convinces us we need next years magic doohickey, this year. Give punters "next years" stuff, this year, so they can feel all wicked cool about having the latest awesome shiznit that not nobody else don't got. Its got bollocks all to do with things that work and genuine improvements, and a lot more about hype.

Which is not to say bike companies don't have solid products, just that the hype machine side of things kinda sucks.
  • kammybear wrote:
    Guys, I wasn't ranting about every aspect of the industry, just the way reviews and PR is handled.

Someone mentioned Interbike etc but unless it's a 5k bike you can forget finding much info on it online months before it releases.

Maybe they want people to come to the show and SEE the product, especially seeing as most companies have their full line there. This is the cycling industry, not gaming, so why sit at home reading everything online and trying to buy without having even tried the blemmin thing?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Makes no difference to me, the only new bikes I've ever bought have been old models on sale.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    UncleMonty wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:
    If the bike industry was like gaming, it would only release one bike per company every 6 months, and then some bikes would take 10 years to get into production.

And you'd have to put up with random crashes, they'd promise to fix this in the next patch but it would get even worse.

Please explain how this is not like the games industry.
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    The industry is 'bent' imho, the bike media know this but can't say anything because sponsorship pays their wage.

But I suppose innovation (even if we don't need it) gives us something to read about.
    Guinness for strength
  • cooldad
    Zziplex wrote:
    The industry is 'bent' imho, the bike media know this but can't say anything because sponsorship pays their wage.

But I suppose innovation (even if we don't need it) gives us something to read about.
    At the risk of turning this into a tin foil hat thread what on earth does that mean?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • it means they dont bite the hand that feeds them ,even though they will deny it ,

a bit like political parties you wouldn''t slate your biggest investors....oops i mean contributors

Fucking PR you mean kissing arse dont you
  • cooldad
    No, he said the industry is bent, and although the media know this they won't report it. I want to know what that means.

Advertisers will advertise where there is circulation.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Lol. Sounds like some sort of conspiracy theory developing. Trust me, having worked in the industry, its just dysfunctional and most of the way things are done is because 'they've always been done that way'. No-one is out there scheming against you. Even the big guys.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    DVD based game, cost to make one unit about £1, sell for £40-50, so if you have a stack left at launch of the new one and sell at half price, you still make a stack of profit.

You forgot to factor in the six-seven figure sum that will be required to pay several programmers, a couple of designers and a producer for a year or two.

Then you have distribution, advertising and licensing costs. Assuming the game sells the developers will eventually get a small percentage of the retail value, it's seriously high risk!
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Lol. Sounds like some sort of conspiracy theory developing. Trust me, having worked in the industry, its just dysfunctional and most of the way things are done is because 'they've always been done that way'. No-one is out there scheming against you. Even the big guys.
    Yeah, but they're "big". And in this modern world, that has to mean they're "evil", right?
    You know, like "big business" "big corporate" "big oil" "big media" and "big pharma" etc.
    Don't you know anything?

:lol:
  • cooldad
    benpinnick wrote:
    Yeah, but they're "big". And in this modern world, that has to mean they're "evil", right?
    You know, like "big business" "big corporate" "big oil" "big media" and "big pharma" etc.
    Don't you know anything?

:lol:
    That sounds like my obvious. Big. And out to get you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Yeah, whatever. I lay here waiting for months, and still nothing. so I've given up on you.
  • cooldad
    Nobody expects the Big Obvious! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...etc...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Oh fu** off, you'r not even Spanish.
  • Anyhoo, I would suspect that manufacturers vary their launch date to ensure that current stock is at a suitably low level first. Sparbuch anyone?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I don't really understand the problem. Who cares? if/when/why the new models will be released. Why do we need to know? They'll be released and then you'll know.

If you've got cash in your pocket and want/need a new bike - I'd suggest buying something that is actually available..now
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Plus, specs seem to be going down year on year rather than up.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500