Shimano front mech top or down swing

thelonegroover
thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My current bike has a Shimano M661-10 down swing from mech. I'd like to know if the M660-10 top swing is any better in any way. Because my frame is only 16", the angle of the cable from the seat tube cable stop to the mech is quite acute. In fact it rubs on the edge of the stop. Would a top swing mech, which allows for a linger cable be any better.
Planet X Kaffenback 2
Giant Trance X2
Genesis High Latitude 2x10
Planet X n2a
Genesis Core 20

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it may well not even fit.

pics of current fitting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

pics of current fitting.
    Why wouldn't a top swing fit?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Tube shapes, suspension pivots, swing arms etc etc.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:

pics of current fitting.
    Why wouldn't a top swing fit?
    beacuse the frame was designed to work with a bottom swing?

why do you think there are two band positions? as not all frame work with one position. frame tubes get in the way. bottle mount bosses get in the way. etc etc etc etc

so frane will work with either.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • According to On-One, Shimano top or down swing will fit, SRAM will also fit, which is what they currently on Inbreds. There doesn't appear to be anything in the way.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Now you tell us which of the 4 bikes in your sig it is.....

No point asking if you could find out the answer really!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Now you tell us which of the 4 bikes in your sig it is.....

No point asking if you could find out the answer really!

It's the Inbred and I only got the reply from On-One after posting.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Thank you for the replies to my original Q: I'd like to know if the M660-10 top swing is any better in any way. I didn't really ask if it would fit!
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    True, but it would definately NOT be better if it didn't!

Better in what respect, one may be a few grams lighter, I find more crud accumulates on a low mount due to the flat platform they have, I've never noticed any difference in shifting between an LX top mount, an XT top mount and the Deore bottom mount (lightest of the three - although it is a double specific) I have had on my bike, so I doubt you'd notice between those two.

I do give the top of the mech a quick puff of WD-40 before muddy rides as it definately seems to stop as much mud accumulating.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • True, but it would definitely NOT be better if it didn't!

Better in what respect, one may be a few grams lighter, I find more crud accumulates on a low mount due to the flat platform they have, I've never noticed any difference in shifting between an LX top mount, an XT top mount and the Deore bottom mount (lightest of the three - although it is a double specific) I have had on my bike, so I doubt you'd notice between those two.

I do give the top of the mech a quick puff of WD-40 before muddy rides as it definitely seems to stop as much mud accumulating.

OK, thanks for the feedback.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Assuming the FD-M660 (SLX) fits, I could also go for the FD-M760 (XT) version.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    A bit lighter, 'better' mechs don't really improve shifting at the front as it's a pretty agricultural system at best.

With a lot of people going 1x front mechs with very little use go quite cheap in the classifieds or on fleabay.
  • Thats just what I was thinking.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • I have another question about front mechs. Whats the difference between a 9 and 10 speed XT FM770-10 and XT FM770-9 front mech.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • nicklouse
    one is designed for 9spd and the other for 10.
    so cage width could/should be different.