are shimano brake levers flip flop?

raldat
raldat Posts: 242
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone,

First post, hope you can assist.

I am upgrading an old bike. Yes I know I should save my bucks and buy a new one, but can't afford that, so am making this one a little better.

Anyhow, I want to buy a shimano front brake either the Deore M446 or M596 and these are much cheaper on Bike-discount.de but they are left hand side ones. Question is, can I just turn them over and mount them on the right hand (and the correct!) side?

I am having trobule confirming this and would appreciate assistance. While I am at it, any comments on the above two brakes? On bike-discount they are the same price right now. The M596 is dearer in most stores so I assume it is better?

Regards, Raldat (living in Denmark)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope but swapping hoses over aint to hard but order a bleed kit at the same time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • raldat
    Ok thanks. Swapping over not an option I am afraid as I have an old bike with v brakes. Since I have no disc mounts on the back, I was only going to put a disc on the front and put up with v brakes on the back.

Right hand almost impossible to buy without paying a fortune it seems so might give up and stick with v brakses
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've just ordered a pair of Deore M596 from Merlin for £90.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    You can get disc brake adaptors for bike frames, they secure on the V brake mount and the rear axle. They can be difficult to get hold of though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    raldat wrote:
    Ok thanks. Swapping over not an option I am afraid as I have an old bike with v brakes. Since I have no disc mounts on the back, I was only going to put a disc on the front and put up with v brakes on the back.

Right hand almost impossible to buy without paying a fortune it seems so might give up and stick with v brakses

so whats the problem? buy a rear and shorten the hose and get a suitable adaptor.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Er, silly question but why not buy used as its an old bike, Shimano are one of the most reliable out there, a used front Deore will set you back at most about £25-30 delivered, In fact I just got an M800 Saint for £25.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • raldat
    Er, silly question but why not buy used as its an old bike, Shimano are one of the most reliable out there, a used front Deore will set you back at most about £25-30 delivered, In fact I just got an M800 Saint for £25.
    Unfortunately I live in Denmark. Used locally will be left hand and no one in the UK wants to deliver to Denmark (understandable). So new is the only option. Merlin had great prices but no front right in stock.
  • raldat
    nicklouse wrote:
    raldat wrote:

so whats the problem? buy a rear and shorten the hose and get a suitable adaptor.

Interesting suggestion. How would I work out what adapter to buy? Not afraid of bleeding them. Would obviously prefer not to, but always a good skill to have.
  • The Rookie
    Adaptor depends on what fork mount you have (IS which is hole parallel to axle, or PM where its inline with the frame) and disc size you want to use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • raldat
    Adaptor depends on what fork mount you have (IS which is hole parallel to axle, or PM where its inline with the frame) and disc size you want to use.

Thanks, yes, that is what I am trying to work out. I have a post mount fork and would run either 160 or 180 depending on what I can get for the right price.

With a front brake I know I need no adapter for 160 and a 20mm one for 180. What I am wondering is, if I run a rear brake, is it different or are the calipers the same?
  • The Rookie
    If you run a PM calliper (IS is a pain but not impossible to mount to PM forks) direct mounting to your forks will take a 160, an adaptor will be needed for 180 (front and rear are the same) its only with IS does it get confusing.

Why not by a rear locally and shorten? Same hassle as shortening new but saved £20-30!
  • raldat
    If you run a PM calliper (IS is a pain but not impossible to mount to PM forks) direct mounting to your forks will take a 160, an adaptor will be needed for 180 (front and rear are the same) its only with IS does it get confusing.

Why not by a rear locally and shorten? Same hassle as shortening new but saved £20-30!

Firstly, thanks for everyone's assistance. Really appreciated.

So what you are telling me is that if we are working with post mount, rear and front callipers are the same? Given that, I could just buy a new one or used with the right hand lever and master cylinder then cut the hose to the right length, reconnect and rebleed.

I guess I would also need to buy a bleed kit (obvious) and also whatever the end connecters are called. I assume they will be single use compression fittings and that I cannot reuse the original ones.

Thanks again everyone. This newbie really appreciates the assistance.
  • nicklouse
    raldat wrote:
    So what you are telling me is that if we are working with post mount, rear and front callipers are the same?
    often but not always.
  • raldat
    nicklouse wrote:
    raldat wrote:
    So what you are telling me is that if we are working with post mount, rear and front callipers are the same?
    often but not always.

Never easy is it! :)

I guess no one has any comments about these callipers (Shimano M596) in particular?

FYI and assuming it matters, my shocks are the much hated RS Dart 3s. Yeah, I know, but a mate gave them to me for the price of a round of beers and I can assure you they are a big step better than the old, spring only (no dampers) totally worn out RST shocks I had.
  • nicklouse
    They are standard post mount fit.

Again not all forks are standard 6" post mount fit.

When it comes to brakes see the topic in the FAQs and when asking details are needed (like part numbers, year etc) or pics are good as well.

Just get either of the ones you linked to measure twice cut and bleed.