Nearly 7 days without a ride & wet weather

bigharj
bigharj Posts: 78
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Having bought my new road bike and completed 2 small rides, I have been left to just admiring it. My consultant has given me an injection to ease the pain in my knee cartlidge and I was told to take it easy for a week or so.

Now the glorious weather has gone, my concerns are now rain. Reading wet weather posts here, are good wet weather skills about taking corners slowly, avoiding metal road covers and painted lines. How do riders cope with glasses and the rain, is wiping away with a glove sufficient? Any other tips that could prevent me from having a serious off?

Comments

• boh67
    boh67 Posts: 71
    Could you not wear a cap under your helmet?
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    boh67 wrote:
    Could you not wear a cap under your helmet?

I wear glasses and a cap under my helmet. It works a treat (providing you're not cycling behind someone throwing up loads of spray).
  • My main concern about riding in the rain is simply the increased chances of punctures. That's why try to avoid it. Actually getting wet doesn't bother me at all. Standing by the side ofthe road fiddling with levers, cartridges and spare tubes does
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    My main concern about riding in the rain is simply the increased chances of punctures. That's why try to avoid it. Actually getting wet doesn't bother me at all. Standing by the side ofthe road fiddling with levers, cartridges and spare tubes does
    Why is there an increased chance of punctures in the wet?
  • Slowbike wrote:
    My main concern about riding in the rain is simply the increased chances of punctures. That's why try to avoid it. Actually getting wet doesn't bother me at all. Standing by the side ofthe road fiddling with levers, cartridges and spare tubes does
    Why is there an increased chance of punctures in the wet?

Because the water coating your tyre acts as a sort of adhesive film that atracts thorns, flints and other nastly little sharp objects that, if it were dry, would simply ping off the tyre but in the wet get stuck to it and then work their way in.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd say that is a minimal risk. Just get out and ride.