Front dérailleur for Specialized DMD system

Huck Finn
Huck Finn Posts: 157
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all. I have a broken SLX M660 front mech on my 2010 Stumpy expert which needs changing. I realise it's an E type with the bottom ring removed. I'm running a 3x9 gear setup so wondering if there's any difference between an e-type mech designed for 3x9 or 3x10? Looking around the web I'm struggling to find 3x9 mech but loads for 3x10. Looking at info, they are both designed for same tooth capacity up front but I wonder if difference in cassette will have any noticeable affect.

Any ideas welcome. Need to order one today so I can get it fitted ready for weekend ride. Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited September 2012
    x9 and x10 mechs are subtley different, however x9 generally (no not always) works fine on x10 when people upgrade, so there is no reason why it won't work the other way round perhaps a slightly increased chance/level of chain rub.

Tried the classifieds (here, STW, pinkbike, ebay) for a x9?

As a stop gap I'd be inclined to lock off the front mech (stops or cable) over the middle ring if it's not broken in such a way as to make that impossible, you never know you may like it and go 1x instead!

How hard did you struggle?
    XT DM 9 speed http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/20 ... mount.html
    SLX http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/20 ... mount.html

Yours isn't M660, the direct mount is the M661-D
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for reply. I'll start to have a look around the classifieds when I get home from work for a 9 speed version. My derailleur is broken in such a way that it twists outwards when moving into middle ring, causing mech to catch on chainrings no matter how I adjust the mounting. I even tried placi g a shim on the one side to try to counter the twist but to no avail. I've been using it for 3 weeks with just the small chainring 1x9, but I find it's throwing the chain onto bb on bumpy descents and don't want to shift up for fear of mech damaging chainrings.
  • The Rookie
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for links but I don't think they are what I need. It's the e-type bracket with the bottom half removed I'm looking for. I've just been looking around and it seems others have asked question on other forums and been told the 10 speed e-type shouldn't be a problem with careful setting up.

Having looked at tech doc, it's the fd660e with the bottom bracket plate removed.
  • The Rookie
    Sorry, forgot it was low direct mount....
    XTR http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=15191
    XT http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20686

Google XT e-type and you'll find a fair few....CRC was the cheapest in a quick check.
  • Found one from Germany, in stock. I've used these before so know delivery will be quick.
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a9646/ ... =en&cr=GBP
    Thanks for help clearing it up!

Edit. Xt one looks good. Cheers!
  • The Rookie
    For referance, when looking for stuff like this I prefer Yahoo.co.uk (not .com) (just seems to give me the results I want), search and then click UK only, then refine search based on hits to get to what you want.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    x9 and x10 mechs are subtley different, however x9 generally (no not always) works fine on x10 when people upgrade, so there is no reason why it won't work the other way round perhaps a slightly increased chance/level of chain rub.

Bad choice of terminology seeing as a SRAM X9 mech can be 10 speed. I know what you mean (and I think the OP does here) but I'd be wary of suggesting people 'scour the classifieds for an X9 mech' because that's really not what you want! 9spd/10spd is far better!

To the OP - the links above are fine though!
  • The Rookie
    Maybe, deliberately used x9 not X9 for that reason....
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Still don't think that's clear, I really doubt many people would differentiate between x9 and X9 if they were looking for a part!