Scottish cyclists

2»

Comments

• iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    daviesee wrote:
    In fact, it could be argued that closing down the NW of Scotland would be less inconvenience than the London Marathon in man-miles.

I dont think thats a good measure of disruption though.

In my opinion its not the same to have 60,000 people delayed for 1 min compared to 100 delayed for 10 hours. (I know its an extreme example but deliberately so to make the point).
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    iclestu wrote:
    (I know its an extreme example but deliberately so to make the point).
    Same as I did then. :wink:

Point being that you can't have a road race anywhere without there being some disruption and I would think that some Northern roads are quiet enough that a rolling road & public timing could be organised without too much disruption.

Road re-surfacing would be a good thing in my book. What's going to happen if they manage to get a Stage in the Tour? Nice smooth tarmac. Mmmm. For a while.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    daviesee wrote:
    iclestu wrote:
    (I know its an extreme example but deliberately so to make the point).
    Same as I did then. :wink:

Ha - yeah, ok, good point!

:D
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • Yeah - sling yer hook and take yer poncy bike race somewhere else! :wink::wink::wink:

The point is well made, though. Close any of the roads between the central belt and Inverness and it causes chaos! Several times I've looked for alternatives to queueing at A9 roadworks and there's nothing sensible. It's a lovely idea and it works for Etape Caledonia (which is relatively well-served for roads) but the Cairngorms might struggle
    Surely the best cycling in the Cairngorms is the single track up on the plateau and down through glens, where when you stop and there is utter silence and you remember the time you saw another person was a few hours ago as you left civilisation.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    There's plenty of roads in the highlands which are closed for weeks (or months) at a time due to snow. I suspect if the will was there to take the race North the road closures wouldn't be what stopped it from happening.
  • k1875 wrote:
    There's plenty of roads in the highlands which are closed for weeks (or months) at a time due to snow. I suspect if the will was there to take the race North the road closures wouldn't be what stopped it from happening.

Ah ha!

Brilliant! Cycle when the roads are closed by snow!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Marathon Winter's all round then? :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."