T-handle allen key set

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am after one of those, I was looking at the Superstars set, has anyone got a set and give me some feedback. I have done a forum search and the set mentioned are just a bit too expensive (BRITOOL EXPERT, Park Tool etc). I have seen a few set on Ebay from Draper but not sure that they are that good. Also I know that Aldi and maybe Lild, not sure, has a set for sale once in a while, are they any good? Thanks
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Draper stuff is quality, my dad has a couple of Draper socket sets in the garage that are well older than I am.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I've a set the same as the superstar ones (just different branding, but otherwise identical). Very happy with them. Nice enough to use, the handles are better than just using normal hex keys. Not had any issues with them yet although only had them 2 years so guess I'll see how they go...
  • Thanks guys for the feedback, I was told that the Superstars tools are pretty good in general and quite reasonable price wise.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I've always felt that the standard L-shaped hex key makes it easier to feel how much torque you're applying. That said, I'm not that sensitive with standard ones either, and tend to use a torque wrench where it matters
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Draper Experts are good, similar to Park. I paid less than £30 for the set on ebay a while ago.
  • i always go for decent quality tools if i can, the cheaper ones wear Very quickly, i picked up a cheap set of rolson ball end allens a few years ago, the ball ends rounded off on all the used ones very quickly and the normal end is squewed!
    i generally just use my parktool multi allen set now, (aws-10) has all the allens you need for general maintenence and very much runs by the old saying i was told by a close family friend (passed on from his dad) 'Tools were made that length for a reason son!!!
    Halfords often offer good prices on tools, and the tool range there is usually Very good, ive an allen socket set for the car use thats taken some serious abuse over the years!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    I'd second that about Halfords tools.

Tools seem to be one thing they've got right (not prompting comments about staff!). The Halfords professional stuff has always been pretty good and with a lifetime warranty, you cant go wrong.....they usually just swap stuff in store if it does break, so much better than other big brands such as Snap-on that need to send it off or show it to a rep...
  • FunBus wrote:
    I'd second that about Halfords tools.

Tools seem to be one thing they've got right (not prompting comments about staff!). The Halfords professional stuff has always been pretty good and with a lifetime warranty, you cant go wrong.....they usually just swap stuff in store if it does break, so much better than other big brands such as Snap-on that need to send it off or show it to a rep...
    I am not able to find any T-Handle allen key set, did a search on their site but nothing comes up.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • I did one too and saw they don't Do any online, but Do you Need T handle ones??
    Silverline do a set on Non ball end ones that ca be had for around a tenner ish on ebay!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You don't really get poor allen keys nowadays (unless made from monkey metal), most chrome vanadium ones are fine. many are rebranded.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10705-7-Pcs-T ... 3f16c5b212
  • supersonic wrote:
    You don't really get poor allen keys nowadays (unless made from monkey metal), most chrome vanadium ones are fine. many are rebranded.

Nice one Supersonic!!

Thanks
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • supersonic wrote:

Looks like you don't get a ball-head with those though. Admittedly, ball-heads can do more harm than good but they're bloody useful sometimes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have to say mine are ball ended lol.
  • I have a set of tent tools ones, fantastic bit of kit short shaft is standard fitting and long shaft ball end had them a couple of years and sti good as new
  • Always used to use Bondhus Gorilla allen keys at work. Very cheap, very good quality and free replacements if you break them (though you'd have to be doing something fairly silly to achieve that).
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • jeannot18 wrote:
    I am after one of those, I was looking at the Superstars set, has anyone got a set and give me some feedback. I have done a forum search and the set mentioned are just a bit too expensive (BRITOOL EXPERT, Park Tool etc). I have seen a few set on Ebay from Draper but not sure that they are that good. Also I know that Aldi and maybe Lild, not sure, has a set for sale once in a while, are they any good? Thanks
    JC
    Avoid Draper - cheap, and just nasty enough that they will round off all your allen head bolts.
    Allen keys are one of those things that, in the long run, is worth spending a little extra on. Check out Bondhous, Halfords Professional range, or Snapon.

Is there any reason in particular you want a set of T-handle ones?
  • Avoid Draper - cheap, and just nasty enough that they will round off all your allen head bolts.

Maybe the basic Drapers, but Draper Expert stuff is good.
  • jeannot18 wrote:

Is there any reason in particular you want a set of T-handle ones?

Other than to be a tool junkie? No :D I probably can achieve the same thing using my normal set of allen keys, but I like to work with the T-handled one too

JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    just wot I'm looking for at the right price
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • I'd love a set of Snap-on ones.

Infact i'd love an entire range of Snap-on kit.

I need a bigger credit card limit...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Draper are very variable in quality but my Expert allen key set is 10 years old now and going strong... Well sized, comfortable to use, tbh they're just as good as my Teng ones- they just don't look as nice. (my surgeon used a Draper Expert torque wrench to nip up the bolts in my leg!)

The Superstar ones are OK... Not bad for the price but a little slack and the set I used had snapped half its ball-ends off.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Been mentioned by a few people now but I've got a set of bondhus ball end allen keys. Haven't had them long enough to give them much use/abuse but they seem like they're going to last well, and they're gold for added bling. I was thinking about getting the t-handled ones but just got normal ones as I've never had a problem using them in the past.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    kenan wrote:
    Got them this morning, used them already, superb!