RockShox RECON SL Solo 100mm

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I have the above forks on my kona hei hei and wondered when I decide to change a few things I wondered if i change the RockShox RECON SL Solo 100mm can I change them to something with a bit more travel and also if I do will this cause me problems with the setup of the bike, given that it's had the 100mm travel on originally.
Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Your question is really about the frame then, and nothing to do with the title.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cooldad is correct but seems to have forgotten to answer the question he decided to rewrite.

You would probably be OK with a bit more travel (120 maybe) but this will raise the front end and potentially make it a bit harder to control on climbs (front wheel lift/wander) and possibly a bit slow steering. It will also invalidate frame warranty in all likelihood if that worries you.

Recon is a good fork though. Why do you feel you need more travel?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Paul,
    Thanks for the reply and think your right they are fine I think us relative newcomers to the sport get drawn in to extra travel but will stick with them. As for cool dads response once again very helpful lol
  • My hardtail and my FS are both 100mm travel and I dont feel I need more, my next bike will likely be a longer travel FS but I am replacing my xc bike and my dh bike with something in the middle so it will inevitably end up longer travel - a proper AM bike I guess.

For most UK general riding I see little need for more than a 100-120mm hardtail to be honest (I shall await the flaming by everyone who insists they need their 140mm FS for epping forest because its so much more fun with that bike) - buy what you can afford and upgrade if you need to repair things but generally my Cove hardtail remains as capable as me on 90% of trails I ride.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    Paul,
    Thanks for the reply and think your right they are fine I think us relative newcomers to the sport get drawn in to extra travel but will stick with them. As for cool dads response once again very helpful lol
    I fail to see any lol. Get the question right and you may get the right answer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cooldad you really need to get out more, you seem very uptight or maybe the word is sad.
  • cooldad
    Stupidity makes me sad.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Tell me about it makes me angry and those who believe they are far better than others
  • cooldad
    I agree. I hate people like that too.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Lol