Marzocchi Bombers and Juicy 5's - IS Mount issues

dmorton
dmorton Posts: 244
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'm trying to mount Avid Juicy 5's onto some Marzocchi Bomber MX Comp ETA.

It seems the IS mount adapter I have doesn't fit, it's as if some washers are needed to bring the caliper (and adapter) away from the fork mounts to line up with the disc. See the attached pictures.... is the adapter I have the right one?

The caliper is aligned with the disc, but if the adapter is screwed into the mounts the disc doesn't align. Also the adapter doesn't fit snug against the fork mounts

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so add some washers.

but before you do what happens if you tighten it all up?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dmorton
    the caliper is pulled off line with the forks if you tighten it up, plus the adapter doesn't fit snugly against the fork mounts either
  • nicklouse
    dmorton wrote:
    the caliper is pulled off line with the forks if you tighten it up, plus the adapter doesn't fit snugly against the fork mounts either

how do you mean snugly?

so you cant set it up or? there is lots of adjustment on the caliper.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • dmorton
    nicklouse wrote:
    how do you mean snugly?

Difficult to describe....

The inner face of the fork mounts and the outer face of the caliper mount can't be put together directly. The fork mounts seem slightly too recessed on the inside and the body of the adapter doesn't allow the faces to come together. This makes me think the adapter isn't quite right...
  • nicklouse
    looks fine to me.

what make is it?
  • dmorton
    edited September 2012
    It's AVID branded and says 'F' on it, no other markings apart from an arrow. Which way should the arrow on it point?
  • nicklouse
    does it look like the fork has been faced?

if yes add some spacers.

if not add less spacers.
  • dmorton
    nicklouse wrote:
    does it look like the fork has been faced?

No unless it's then be resprayed
    nicklouse wrote:
    if yes add some spacers.

if not add less spacers.

Just pack it out with washers then? Would you expect that to be needed sometimes?
  • nicklouse
    often.
  • dmorton
    cheers, will see how I get on with some spacers then
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How often is it suggested people align a PM calliper when they have brake rubbing/foul issues? Well with a direct IS mount the only way to align it is with shims! Halfords do a pack for 99p as I recall if your in a hurry.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.