Longest ride and being hungry

boh67
boh67 Posts: 71
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Did my longest ride today 30 miles. I had porridge before I left but didn't eat during the run. Since then I have been really hungry. I take it because I didn't eat during the run or is it common to be hungry after a long ride.

If its eating during the ride what do you reccomend ?

Comments

• I would say that 30 miles, whilst a great milestone for you so well done, is maybe at the edge of needing any food along the way. Of course it depends on your pace, the terrain and your condition but unless you are balls out then maybe just a gel or bar should suffice so I don't think you were under fuelled for the ride.

If your hungry afterwards then try and stick to fruit or maybe some non fat yoghurt.

30 miles is enough to need hydration though, don't let that slip.

Fair distance though, well done.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I made up some flapjack for eating while I ride. Did 58 miles yesterday up 5 of the biggest hills in Surrey and got through 4 pieces. Flapjack contains oats which is a good slow release food, ideal for cycling IMHO.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I would say that 30 miles, whilst a great milestone for you so well done, is maybe at the edge of needing any food along the way. Of course it depends on your pace, the terrain and your condition but unless you are balls out then maybe just a gel or bar should suffice so I don't think you were under fuelled for the ride.

If your hungry afterwards then try and stick to fruit or maybe some non fat yoghurt.

30 miles is enough to need hydration though, don't let that slip.

Fair distance though, well done.

This.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    as a rule by the time you feel hungry you are all ready running out of go-go (too late in some respects)
  • boh67
    estampida wrote:
    as a rule by the time you feel hungry you are all ready running out of go-go (too late in some respects)

Yea definatley but that's the thing I was ok during the ride and felt great afterwards. But since then I've been hungry all day. I'm thinking it's physiological and a take away awaits 8)
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    It's different for everyone. I would never take anything for 30 miles. On 80 milers I do fine on an energy bar and a couple gels, and on today's 72 miler all I need was a banana, one gel, and 7 dates. I did 55 on Friday on zero fuel and one bottle, but started feeling a bit weak (not hungry mind) at just shy of 3 hours. On the flipside one of they guys I ride with regularly (strong and fast) bonks hard if he's not always eating. He needs bars, drink, cake, flapjacks, you name it every half hour.

You need to listen to your body and do what works best for you, but be careful not to over-eat or think that just because you've done a few miles it gives you license to stuff down the food afterwards. A recovery drink after a long ride is a must, followed by a meal with quality slow-release carbs (sweet potato, quinoa, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, etc.) a couple hours later.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    What has everyone got against eating?

As long as you are not overweight then eat a flap jack during a ride to give you fast and slow release energy, drink water, and then eat protein and a small amount of carbs after a ride to replenish your glycogen store. Slow release carbs will make you feel full for longer, so brown rice, wholemeal pasta etc.

As long as you balance input to exercise you won't gain weight anyway.

Eat more so that you can go further and faster :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Don't think anyone is against eating. I think the advice given is measured and sensible. Over time you will work out what works for you and how much you need to keep you working efficiently
  • Grill wrote:
    It's different for everyone. I would never take anything for 30 miles. On 80 milers I do fine on an energy bar and a couple gels, and on today's 72 miler all I need was a banana, one gel, and 7 dates. I did 55 on Friday on zero fuel and one bottle, but started feeling a bit weak (not hungry mind) at just shy of 3 hours. On the flipside one of they guys I ride with regularly (strong and fast) bonks hard if he's not always eating. He needs bars, drink, cake, flapjacks, you name it every half hour.

You need to listen to your body and do what works best for you, but be careful not to over-eat or think that just because you've done a few miles it gives you license to stuff down the food afterwards. A recovery drink after a long ride is a must, followed by a meal with quality slow-release carbs (sweet potato, quinoa, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, etc.) a couple hours later.
    What? I rode yesterday and didn't drink anything but coffee when I got back. Am I going to die? Please god no! I'm too young...................
    team47b wrote:
    What has everyone got against eating?

As long as you are not overweight then eat a flap jack during a ride to give you fast and slow release energy, drink water, and then eat protein and a small amount of carbs after a ride to replenish your glycogen store. Slow release carbs will make you feel full for longer, so brown rice, wholemeal pasta etc.

As long as you balance input to exercise you won't gain weight anyway.

Eat more so that you can go further and faster :D
    Didn't you get the memo? Food is now the devil :roll:
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Grill wrote:

What? I rode yesterday and didn't drink anything but coffee when I got back. Am I going to die? Please god no! I'm too young...................

Oh you!
    Like I said, until you know your body well enough to know what works best for you there are certain guidelines/rules of thumb that are helpful, especially for newer riders. I don't really do rest days so for me constantly replenishing glycogen and encouraging protein synthesis is a must.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    I won't eat on a ride less than 40 miles, unless it just happens that a cafe stop was planned in on route! I have a good breakfast before and drink plenty. I did once accidently try a 45 mile ride with no breakfast, and that didn't feel good after 30 miles.

I try and have a pint of milk when I get home, but I do find myself raiding cupboards after most rides - more so if it's a morning ride
  • boh67
    nbuuifx wrote:
    I won't eat on a ride less than 40 miles, unless it just happens that a cafe stop was planned in on route! I have a good breakfast before and drink plenty. I did once accidently try a 45 mile ride with no breakfast, and that didn't feel good after 30 miles.

I try and have a pint of milk when I get home, but I do find myself raiding cupboards after most rides - more so if it's a morning ride

Not just me then lol. As I said I felt great on the bike had plenty of fluids it's afterwards I crave food
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Drink plenty, if you're out for 2 hours and don't need to p155 then you need to drink more, unless you've got a bowser for a bladder :)

As for eats - I also find eating plenty of protein at the end of the ride (fish, chicken) helps

But as other posters have said, it's a "you" thing - find your groove and work within it

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • some days i have done 50+ mile rides with no issues but then, i have "bonked" at the 30 mile stage of a 50 mile ride , and it was the worst experience i have ever had on a bike, i always make sure i take something with me in case it happens again.
  • Not sure how correct this is, but after reading some articles. They suggest to take on some food every hour?? But i guess that depends on how hard you are pushing yourself.

When i rode my 42mile / 3 loop boxhill ride...i had 2x 500ml bottles of Gatorade Pro and 1x Energy Carb Bar.

post ride was a MyProtein Recovery XS carb/protein shake. But guess it is down to the person and how hard you are pushing yourself, maybe carb up the night before or pre ride. Everytime im going for a big ride in the morning, for breakfast i always have a bowl of porridge with jam, or porridge with 2 slices of toast...i find it helps 8)
  • Between 30 and 40 miles seems to be my limit for no food.
    When I was starting out last year I would go out with no food, not knowing if I would do 15 miles or 50+, and with water only, so that's how I discovered the 30-40 mile limit for me.
    I found I was getting the munchies and a real craving for salt, and having to stop for a bag of salty crisps.

Now I carry a few golden syrup cereal bars which I find ideal. The gyrup gives fast energy release and the oats give slow energy release. Try some electrolyte drinks too to replace the salts you lose through sweat.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    A recovery drink after a long ride is a must

I favour a pint of Black Sheep. I also discovered the other day as my ride passed a village butchers, that a cornish pasty fits beautifully into a jersey pocket.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • fwiw, i find what i eat a day or so before makes a big difference. so if i'm riding on a sunday for example, i'll have pasta friday night, something like a jacket potato and bean for lunch and something carby on satuday night, but perhaps a bit lighter/smaller.

also staying hydrated they day before (so a saturday in this case), and for me not having alcohol helps (as i'm a total lightweight drinker!)

maybe a banana and/or toast with peanut butter before i go out.
    on a ride i find 30-40ish miles is when is start to feel hungry... gels and bars are great and really help.
    lots of differnet brands, i prefer the chewy ones. some gels have added caffine.
    then afterwards staying hydrated, and fruit/protien helps.

I'm not a nutritionalist, but have found this works for me by trial and error!

hth
  • boh67
    beefydan wrote:
    fwiw, i find what i eat a day or so before makes a big difference. so if i'm riding on a sunday for example, i'll have pasta friday night, something like a jacket potato and bean for lunch and something carby on satuday night, but perhaps a bit lighter/smaller.

also staying hydrated they day before (so a saturday in this case), and for me not having alcohol helps (as i'm a total lightweight drinker!)

maybe a banana and/or toast with peanut butter before i go out.
    on a ride i find 30-40ish miles is when is start to feel hungry... gels and bars are great and really help.
    lots of differnet brands, i prefer the chewy ones. some gels have added caffine.
    then afterwards staying hydrated, and fruit/protien helps.

I'm not a nutritionalist, but have found this works for me by trial and error!

Cheers mate

hth