Paralympic Hero's

Flexisurfer
Flexisurfer Posts: 249
edited September 2012 in The bottom bracket
I can't seem to help myself being really inspired by the Olympians that have taken part in the Paralympics. Nothing much in a sporting sense really seems to inspire me much these days, yes having a number of very good cyclists from Great Britain challenging for top spots in some of the toughest sporting events is great but not overly inspiring.

With the late summer sure to bow out soon I'll be left having to watch match of the day on a Saturday evening and seeing over paid adult males rolling around on the floor clutching theit faces after a small brush of the oponents arm across their chin, that really gets to me it's like they've been taken out by a Taliban snipper in the crowd.

To watch a person with a physical or mental impairment jumping up and down on the podium prior to receiving a BRONZE medal with the sheer delight on their faces is absolutely inspirational, I mean could they be any happier, even if they had just found a miracle cure for their illness I don't think they could be? Even watching Jessica Ennis collecting her medal wasn't that great, all the pressure she had on her shoulders, all that training and then to win infront of a home crowd I would have been happier had she really shown what it meant to her, not a crying fest but a real proper jump around "look at me world you came to my country and I kicked arse" that kind of thing.

As soon as the nights draw in and we have to get the bike ready for night time training or commuting we may be in danger of forgetting how great Great Britain really is, but I will never forget those Paralympic hero's and heroins.

Comments

• "With the late summer sure to bow out soon I'll be left having to watch match of the day on a Saturday evening and seeing over paid adult males rolling around on the floor clutching theit faces after a small brush of the oponents arm across their chin, that really gets to me it's like they've been taken out by a Taliban snipper in the crowd".

you dont have to watch it.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • I can't seem to help myself being really inspired by the Olympians that have taken part in the Paralympics. Nothing much in a sporting sense really seems to inspire me much these days, yes having a number of very good cyclists from Great Britain challenging for top spots in some of the toughest sporting events is great but not overly inspiring.

With the late summer sure to bow out soon I'll be left having to watch match of the day on a Saturday evening and seeing over paid adult males rolling around on the floor clutching theit faces after a small brush of the oponents arm across their chin, that really gets to me it's like they've been taken out by a Taliban snipper in the crowd.

To watch a person with a physical or mental impairment jumping up and down on the podium prior to receiving a BRONZE medal with the sheer delight on their faces is absolutely inspirational, I mean could they be any happier, even if they had just found a miracle cure for their illness I don't think they could be? Even watching Jessica Ennis collecting her medal wasn't that great, all the pressure she had on her shoulders, all that training and then to win infront of a home crowd I would have been happier had she really shown what it meant to her, not a crying fest but a real proper jump around "look at me world you came to my country and I kicked ars*" that kind of thing.

As soon as the nights draw in and we have to get the bike ready for night time training or commuting we may be in danger of forgetting how great Great Britain really is, but I will never forget those Paralympic hero's and heroins.

Totally agree - they captured the olympic spirit and the sheer joy of sport far more than the overpayed overhyped 'able bodied' counterparts. I hope TV channels will continue to show disability sports - if there is going to be a change in how we treat our brothers and sisters under the skin these games will have played a vital role.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    edited September 2012
    These Paralympics have done so much good for all of us. I think all the athletes involved are heroes, to overcome any "disability" and get on with your life makes you a hero straight away in my eyes, but to then go on and achieve what they have, well I have so much respect.

As for the word disability, we may need to rethink the meaning of that word, because the people I've seen in the past couple of weeks are more able than all of the 'waste of space' dickheads we have the misfortune to meet sometimes.

My two favourite heroes are

article_38effbfac7ee1723_1346786508_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

When he spoke about his Dad after his race, well let's just say if you were not moved then I would have an X-ray, pronto, you may be missing a heart.

David-Weir-celebrates-win-008.jpg

What a man!
  • I believe England played a World Cup match the other night and it has been totally buried by the Paralympics... great stuff.

Obviously if England didn't play this post is null and void.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.