Retirements

yourpaceormine
yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Just wondering if there might be an above average number of riders retiring this year; in light of USADA, Hamilton's book, the seemingly large number of ex-riders finally admitting their less than pure pasts.

Michael Barry's retirement has already been suggested it might have been a gentle push; Hincapie looks like he has fallen on his own sword; Hunt - genuine retirement?

Comments

• Yeah, I think Hunt's retirement is 'genuine' - I've read references to this being his last year since the beginning of the year.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Hincapie's may have been influenced by outsiode events, but he's been talking about it for a couple of seasons.

Barry and Hunt are standard retirements. They're unlikely to get a decent new contract with anyone at their age and probably have better offers elsewhere.

Some suggested that Barry's announcement was something to do with Hamilton's book, but they weren't ever team mates. It was, however, just before his last races on home soil - just like Hunt's.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Hincapie's may have been influenced by outsiode events, but he's been talking about it for a couple of seasons.

Barry and Hunt are standard retirements. They're unlikely to get a decent new contract with anyone at their age and probably have better offers elsewhere.

Some suggested that Barry's announcement was something to do with Hamilton's book, but they weren't ever team mates. It was, however, just before his last races on home soil - just like Hunt's.

I have read somewhere (INRNG twitter feed maybe) that there was a lot more that Barry had to say about USPS than ended up in his (Barry's) book....I bet....
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    RichN95 wrote:
    I may be wrong but I can't recall Barry being mentioned in the book at all.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    No they are all just getting older and tireder. You conspiracy lot!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I wouldn’t think either Moncoutie or Niermann retiring has anything to do with Hamilton, etc.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Nope. Why would one of the few riders to ride clean thoughout his entire career, David Moncutie, be worried over a book release about doping?