Jeremy Hunt retires

Richmond Racer
Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
edited March 2013 in Pro race
So as expected, Jez Hunt's retiring this season. So I thought a thread to celebrate him, on and off the bike, would be in order.

Twice British Nat champ, rode with Big Mig - not too many riders left in the peloton from that time - and a massive servant to British cycling through the many years before GB gave a damn about the road.

This is one of my favourite interviews with Jez (warning: does include a reference to the Devil Incarnate himself, Lance)

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/02/i ... remy-hunt/

Comments

• Great interview that. What a good guy.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Really good interview that. Hard not to feel Hunt and Hammond are slightly undervalued by many British cycling fans; I guess that comes with cycling coverage being so Tour centric in Britain.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,453
    I was in a hotel in Cluses in the summer of 2002 watching the GP Plouay on French TV when he surprised everyone, probably including himself, by winning the race and this remains his largest win. A happy day.

I wish him well in his retirement.
  • I raced against Hunt in the Mid Devon Pursuits about 24 years ago. Well I say race, I saw this junior on the start line that everyone said he's the one to watch.I did watch him ride away and by the time I got back to the village hall he'd changed and was about to go home.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    I raced against him in a few local 3/Js in the early 90s when he was a junior and I was a young 3rd cat, always was a classy rider.
  • Jez still doing some big turns for Sky in his last ToB - good to see...gonna miss seeing him race.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Thought you meant the politician and I got all excited.
  • Quite understandably, Rick, we can all live in hope on that front...
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    edited March 2013
    Nice little team with some good backing. Stickybottle concentrated quite a bit on the team when it started with McCann and McQuaid there. \

They have a good squad, including Dan Craven, and those listed there. Anuar Manan (as mentioned, a gun sprinter) signed on as a last resort, as late as mid Jan, after no contract and not accepting a non undisputed leader spot in Terengganu before going apeshit and I like me a bit of Ebsen too. Don't see the Azerbaijanis doing anything major.
    “So far we have starts in Taiwan, Thailand, Phillipines, Russia (Grand Prix of Adygeya), Sochi (Russia), South Africa (Mzansi Tour), back to Russia (Adygeya), and then to the Tour of Azerbaijan which is the big goal”, Jez told me. “We also go to the RAS (Ireland) and Tour of Beauce in Canada.”
    Solid list of races that and I'd expect them to try for a Qinghai lake invite. Mzansi is a new one, and Azerbaijan? Is Iranian province or the country? The President's Tour of Azerbaijan is an Iranian race, and had a climb at 2900 m last year. But the Hyder Aliyev Tour of Azerbaijan (they really named it after a dictator) is an U23 race.

And will they be riding the NRS?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I love Jez but the question I have is....how the hell can the riders understand what he's saying from the team car :shock:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    And will they be riding the NRS?

What is NRS?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • And will they be riding the NRS?

What is NRS?
    National Road series, Australia's domestic road racing series.
  • I love Jez but the question I have is....how the hell can the riders understand what he's saying from the team car :shock:
    Not like Azerbaijanis have a problem accepting orders that they don't understand :wink: